Jefferson Indexer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Jefferson Indexer

Post by earlgo »

This indexer came with the equipment that I got from my Dad. I have searched the internet for the Jefferson Machine Tool Co. Cincinnati, OH and got no hits except one from Vintage Machinery, and they only had a belt sander brochure.
Has anyone seen one of these? It has a 24 position index disc as well as a standard 40 tooth worm drive with index plates. The index plate drive is disengagable so that the 24 position index disc can be used. It has a B&S taper in the headstock, plain bearings, and is threaded for a chuck or special clamping drive dog.
Front
Front
Back
Back
Any help would be appreciated.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Re: Jefferson Indexer

Post by spro »

Wow, that is nice. I did come across a few Jefferson Index heads on eBay months ago but the electronic photos were blurry. I could not see all the features, What Brown and Sharpe taper does it utilize ?
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The big end of the center is .710 and the small end is .600/.595 with the distance between on the slant as 2-23/32. Calculating all this leads to about .507 in/ft taper. The closest I could find in the Mach Hbk is a #7 B&S taper. Nothing else was close even though the B&S is listed with a .502 in/ft taper. Count it as measurement error on my part.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

Then it is B&S #7 size. That is a good size and a great indexer/ divider for many mills. Many a head has lost its foot over time, so yours is especially good to see.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Wow, a Cincinnati machine tool company I'd not previously known about. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

It looks like a nice head.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Yes it really does and I had no idea it was tied to Cincinnati.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The Indexer and the tailstock bear different numbers. So I had to add a .052 thick shim to the bottom of the tailstock to match the height of the centers. I also added the keys to fit the Producto Matic mill so the indexer wouldn't have to be trammed in at setup.
index
index
tailstock
tailstock
The top of the indexer is stamped US 21, so I am fairly sure it is Gov't surplus.
I have also fitted a 4" 4 jaw and a 4" 3 jaw for even more flexibility in use.
I haven't been able to find anything about the company.
--earlgo
spro

Post by spro »

It is neat that you trued the foot. These things were ground in pairs. It couldn't have been from some other size. Super spacer.
spro

Post by spro »

Neat to see on the Product O Matic mill. A combination which fits exactly and rare.