Almost Skunked on a Grizzly Hunt.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Downwindtracker2

Almost Skunked on a Grizzly Hunt.

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I'm working on a early '50s shop built 6" shaper and needed a ball mill to dimple a couple of brass wear plates. I thought I had one.Locally available KBC had them on sale for $89 for US made carbide.BusyBee had HSS for $30,Chinese ? likely mail order to boot. Since I live close to Bellingham, except for crossing the border, an easier drive. So off to Grizzly. I made a list of three things, and I got three sorry we don't have them. There were a lot of "Sorry were're out of stock " tags on the machinery, too. On the alternate list of two sizes, lucky, one was in stock.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
jdl6mm

Re: Almost Skunked on a Grizzly Hunt.

Post by jdl6mm »

What is the point

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
spro

Post by spro »

Ball shaped. :)
jdl6mm

Post by jdl6mm »

spro wrote:Ball shaped. :)
Bahahahaha. I guess he was just ranting

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Downwindtracker2

Surprisingly empty warehouse.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Did you try any other of the tooling suppliers in the area before making the trek to the USA? KMS has a few bits and cutters, ACT Equipment Sales, Sharp-Rite Tooling & Manufacturing, there are others that don't come to mind at the moment. Also Sharp-Rite also has a cutter grinding division in case you have a good tool that is worth sharpening.

Pete
Downwindtracker2

I think my post works for comedy, with jdl6mm and spro doing a pretty good stand up. Long gone are the days of being waved through at the border, but the line ups weren't bad. I'll have to look up ACT and Sharp-Rite. I'm rather unfortunate to be within driving distance of Lee Valley, BusyBee, Princess Auto, Grizzly, KBC and Thomas Skinner. And walking distance of a KMS. I've been buying from KMS since '87 when they were a small store front in a old strip mall. They haven't a clue about machine tools or tooling, but if you need a welder or an air tool, you will find experts there.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Who knows what's up with Grizzly.
I wouldn't be surprised is the supply chain is damaged due to present day political issues.
Hope not!
~RN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Grizzly used to show what was in stock and what wasn't, in their warehouses on line. Usually I check stock before driving up to Bellingham - although haven't ordered from them in a year or more.

Gpb
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Downwindtracker2 wrote:I think my post works for comedy, ,,,,,,,, I'm rather unfortunate to be within driving distance of Lee Valley, BusyBee, Princess Auto, Grizzly, KBC and Thomas Skinner. And walking distance of a KMS.....

That I still miss a lot since we moved.