Enco/Gamet Boring Head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

asallwey

Re: Enco/Gamet Boring Head

Post by asallwey »

For those hoping for more details on these tools, here your go. I just found more info on usage of this type of boring head. Wohlhaupter has 2 document available for download on their heads, and they are quite detailed. One of their heads, UPA3, (2nd document) is similar to the Enco which has automatic stops.
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

The Chandler automatic has a style of limiter that could be easily adapted here - replace the Enco's 'safety stop' capscrew with a longer stud and a locking nut/collar. This vid shows it starting around :12.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGNy1Ku1YZU

"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for the link. I have a Chandler Duplex but had not seen that video. I have used it but it was odd to figure out at first. It came with a MT arbor. The gent was rebuilding commercial door closers and had a special fixture mounted to the cross slide, to hold the body. The Chandler was mounted into the lathe spindle. You couldn't quite do it otherwise, in any quantity, on a 1933 lathe.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't intend to hijack this thread but there is something else to say about the Chandlers. The one in the video is almost the same as mine but there are differences to look at. The main body is identical except for the small dial, has only a center screw and one other being the limit screw. There is no model # but mine has an integral knurled collar at the top. It is 2" wide X 7/8" with holes for a hook spanner. This collar is threaded like 1 3/8" X 8 TPI . So anyway, different arbors are good but I think they standardized the entrance size and eliminated the collar.CORRECTION
Correction! There is a seam. This collar could have been an adaptor straight from the factory. The PO didn't remove it and I don't know how I could now.
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

Spro, no problem on the video link. I had seen it but didn't look at it. Seems like the Chandler has a few features that the Enco doesn't have. I also assume that it is a higher priced tool than the Enco.

It is a neat tool. I like that he demo'd different tasks that can be done.
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

Just a point of warning that's been floating around in my head.

If you decide to try adapting the Chandler style stop bolt to the Enco, be very careful. Do not under any circumstance use a 'reaction'/tommy bar in the knurled ring, hold it loosely by hand only and be prepared to let it slip when it hits the limiter.

The reason why is because of the Enco's internals. The models with the integral feed limiter dogs will stop the ramp/pawl/ratchet mechanism from functioning when the limiter is hit (the stop dog rotates the cam, which pins the up/down pawl in the 'down' position, once it's pinned the ramps cannot cycle the pawl and advance the ratchet... effectively, it puts the whole mechanism into neutral).

With only a hard stop at the end of travel, the pawl will still spring back up after each pass of the ramp, and the ratchet (and leadscrew) will advance another notch the next time around, whether the slide is able to move or not. If the knurled ring is still being held, it will break something.
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

Just a quick note to describe my progress. My playing has been delayed by my wife's back surgery (successful) and the first 1 1/2 weeks of recovery.

I've been practicing my click counting and decided it was time to cut metal. First thing I learned was there are 2 distinct segments that each need a different technique.

First is initiating the cut. I found I needed to quick grap/release the collar for a click. Doing this a couple of times got me and the head ready. This would be the way to take the smallest cut. The next segment/technique is holding the collar and counting. This goes well, but counting is easiest if I release the collar after 10 or so clicks, then repeat. Easier to count and remember small numbers. :)

This would be much easier with a mill that slows to 100 rpm as the manual recommends. My 250 rpm Millrite is about the maximum speed I could reliably count at. It would be even easier yet if I had the work stops as some heads have. O well, it is a neat head!
spro

Post by spro »

It is a super head and I'm very happy about...well I'm glad the surgery and healing. Dear Wife.. Dearest Partner..
Compassion...I/ we really do care.
Anyway that boring head; I have seen a few and they look the same but they are NOT ! Enco heads look similar to the French Gamet but I saw the emblem on one; Enco made in India. I'm not bashing India but they were a little late to the game with automatic boring heads. You can tell, even with the emblem removed, their finish is not the same. I'm sure they are better now but "Gamet" was special.
spro

Post by spro »

I did a little research about Gamet bearings. India is quite aware of them and used them for a long time. If the head works well, that is it. I was confused at some point about a French name used for bearings manufactured by Colchester in England. There is more history about that but it predates what I find now. The actual finish of the slides and other elements are different with the older ones.
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

I haven't done any research on the linage of this head, just how to use it. I did say earlier that my head has Made in France printed just below the Enco name. I don't think the India aspect will apply to my head.
Cabbagestack

Post by Cabbagestack »

I just bought one of these Enco Made in France automatic boring & facing heads on ebay for about $125. Looks like it hasn't suffered any damage just has little bits of surface rust. I have downloaded the manual but it is rather sparse in it's attempt to explain how it is used, and the pictures look like 4th gen photocopy. Anyway, I'm hoping the people here such as ccfl, asallwey, and spro and any others can help me learn how to use it.
Enco 1200 Auto Boring Head.jpg
Enco 1200 Auto Boring Head2.jpg
From what I've read on this forum and other places on the Net, it appears to be a 222-1200 model that takes 3/4" boring bars. It seems the general opinion is that these are very well made tools. I do know that when I finally learn to use all its features it will be very useful in my shop !! ...It may not be a Walhaupter UPA3, but I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it either. And I love the fact that it came with an R8 arbor all ready on it!
Thanks in advance!
asallwey

Post by asallwey »

I know your concern about learning how the head works. But don't get too concerned, the head is simple. 2 modes, manual and auto (click) advance.
1) Tighten the middle setscrew on the dovetail and it's manual.
2) Click advance. The setscrew's in the knurl (2) control the amount of advance with each click. Check your manual copy ( Feed Rates - .0005, .001, .1005 per radius). Default is slowest at .0005 per click. I suggest using the slowest speed you have to practice with (no cutting bar).

Your best approach is to play with it, do a couple of clicks and check the dial. Practice counting clicks so you can stop at about the same click.