Model Machinist Book?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DianneB

Model Machinist Book?

Post by DianneB »

Is there a GOOD handbook to learn precision machining for the modeller?

I have a reasonably equipped shop and have done a lot of "farmer's machining" but would like to get into making some stuff for my 1-1/2 scale locomotive. The problem is that I have no training in how to do precision layouts and machining. A good book would be helpful (whether printed or online).

I don't need a bunch of information on buying machine tools or how to lay out a shop - just the actual machining.

Thanks gang!
Mr Ron

Re: Model Machinist Book?

Post by Mr Ron »

If you have any trade schools near you, check with their bookstore for machinist's textbooks. Also, you can find books on drafting that show you how to read a blueprint and how to layout drawings.There are many videos on you tube by machinists. Subscribe to a magazine like "Live Steam". It has many articles
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
https://www.magazines.com/the-home-shop ... azine.html
http://www.livesteam.net/
https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

No trade schools anywhere near by.

Drafting is no problem - spent most of my career as a designer in a large engineering department! If drawing something would get it built, I'd have intricate works of art! LOL!

My lack of skill is turning drawings into reality! How to do precision layout, how to do precision machining, etc.

My one problem with the internet is "everybody is an expert" and you don't know who's advice to follow.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

The US Army and US Navy published many books on machining which are available free on the Net. You also want to get a copy of How To Run A Lathe by South Bend, and a copy of Machinery's Handbook (not the current edition: it's full of CNC stuff).
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

James A. Harvey’s “Machine Shop Trade Secrets” is a very good book.
It’s full of practical [how to] information that can be immediately put to use.

There also appears to be a second edition available since it was first published in 2004.

https://ebooks.industrialpress.com/prod ... de-secrets

John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

build a BvB pump.....

a large part of being a good machinist is planning your work, so write things down before you make chips.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

While it's written with the Myford Super 7 in mind since that is or was about the standard for the well heeled British Model Engineer then hands down 100% George Thomas's The Model Engineers Workshop manual would be exactly what your looking for. Any 10 other of my machinist books haven't taught me as much as this one did and I still read through sections of it today. Youtube and forums like this one are great, but there still no substitute for those hard copy books. The Thomas book isn't exactly cheap at about $50 ordered from either Hemingway Kits or Tee Publishing who are both in the U.K. but still much cheaper than what the usual Ebay bandits want for the same thing here in North America. And imo the books easily worth 10 times it's price. George was an extremely talented Writer, Professional Machinist and Design Engineer later on in life I think? And who also had the even rarer talent of being able to clearly write about it. Not only the how to do it, but a lot of times exactly why it would the best method.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The Navy machinist manual is available online. It may be out of date as far as CNC and insert tooling, but it will cover a lot of what you need to know.

http://www.woodworkslibrary.com/reposit ... airman.pdf

Skip the sections on damage control and shoring.

Steve
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Bill Shields wrote:build a BvB pump.....

a large part of being a good machinist is planning your work, so write things down before you make chips.
LOL! You know darned well Bill that that is EXACTLY what I am up to! ;)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And don't forget to study Kozo's books on building his various geared + locomotives.
Simply studying his drawings and machining protocols will teach you much about good machining practices.
I learned a tremendous amount from his teachings, that continue to help me years later.
~RN
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I read all the books, know all the theory and most of the trick, have worked with my hands all my life, I have decent common sense and mechanical attitude, yet I learned the most from my own errors and failures. Many professions are part science and part art. The science can be learned in books but the art is to be learned the hard way unless you are lucky enough to have a mentor.
Start a project with the least critical parts but use them as exercise to improve accuracy by machining each part to a 0.001" tolerance. Some will be off but you have learned the reason why and wont repeat it when the critical parts come up.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tornitore45 wrote:Start a project with the least critical parts but use them as exercise to improve accuracy by machining each part to a 0.001" tolerance. Some will be off but you have learned the reason why and wont repeat it when the critical parts come up.
You don't even need a project - just a some scraps of metal.

Try turning something to size to 0.0001. Measure each cut and see what happens when you take a cut of 0.010 and how it differs when you take a cut of 0.020 or 0.005. You will learn why when you are taking 0.020 cuts and your final cut is 0.005 that your part is ruined because it's undersize.

Try locating a hole, then bore it to size, then go back and measure the location and size and see how you did. Figure out why or why not.

There's a whole book on hole location (by Moore Tool, the experts on locating holes), so it's not a trivial exercise.

You will learn why Harold is against centerpunching for hole location - it's not as accurate as other methods.

Steve