Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Post by earlgo »

This is the only "floppy" tool holder I've been acquainted with. It is an Armstrong and came with the 1880's Sebastian and May lathe. One can see it was made intentionally to flex the tool away from the cut, as Harold said.
Armstrong LHside.JPG
Armstrong RHside.JPG
Approximately 6 in long.
Just a couple of fun photos from the tools used in the past.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm inclined to suggest that the design is more intended to allow cutting off near the chuck than for deflection. The reason I chose that posture is that any deflection of the tool holder is likely to manifest itself in the loss of side clearance, as the tool would deflect at an angle. I could see a busted parting tool in that scenario.

Could be wrong! :wink:

H

Edit:
It appears I most likely am wrong with my suggestion. While the tool holder would deflect as I suggested, the slot I see likely allows for the tool to dip, which would accomplish the desired deflection (which eliminates the loss of side clearance). The example provided is a "gooseneck" design, as I see it.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/dow ... w&id=61125

This is a picture of the gooseneck tool holder that popped into mind. It lets the cutter deflect under heavy load.

lg
no neat sig line
Attachments
gooseneck.jpg
gooseneck.jpg (6.52 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
I am unique, just like everyone else.
spro

Post by spro »

This picture of the goose neck tool holders is interesting. We could talk all day about how the cutting tool would be positioned. Just ask the Axis and what happens to the edge of the tool under load. Lathe pressure and shaper pressure are different and I think it requires some investigation towards the axis of the clapper box to see any benefit. They are the same type of tool holder with a swivel capture of the tool.
spro

Post by spro »

I thought I knew this. The neck is at the cutting side and could compress slightly when hitting an inclusion. These were shown as a threading tool holder and the tools were opposite the picture. Where's the "confused" button?
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

SteveHGraham wrote:This guy is too funny to ignore. I keep going back and saying things like, "Thanks for all the great comments. Keep it up." He snaps at the bait every time.
I wonder if he is talking about an airplane being able to flex?