Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've seen it all now. Some dude in a Youtube comment thread is angry at me for implying machine tools should be rigid. Check this out:
mills like all machines are designed to flex, if they did not then they would fall apart from the load stresses. Rigid is the last thing you want in anything that has to cope with stress loads.
I didn't really understand this part:
A, everything is built with stress compensators and B, too a tolerance.
He says "all machines use malleable construction." What?

Anyway, this is great news. Forget buying a big heavy mill or lathe. Just make a bendy one from PVC pipe.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
curtis cutter

Re: Machine Tools Should be Floppy

Post by curtis cutter »

Schedule 80 PVC. Some flex but not as much as schedule 40. Another good think about PVC is you can just twist wires together for the motor, leave them bare and not worry about getting a shock.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Patio

Post by Patio »

It may be that he is taking the word "Rigid" literally. As in the meaning, no movement. Which may be why he mentioned tolerances. Just a thought.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote:I've seen it all now. Some dude in a Youtube comment thread is angry at me for implying machine tools should be rigid. Check this out:
mills like all machines are designed to flex, if they did not then they would fall apart from the load stresses. Rigid is the last thing you want in anything that has to cope with stress loads.
I didn't really understand this part:
A, everything is built with stress compensators and B, too a tolerance.
He says "all machines use malleable construction." What?

Anyway, this is great news. Forget buying a big heavy mill or lathe. Just make a bendy one from PVC pipe.
Have you ever heard of the "monkeys on typewriters" theory? The theory has it if you put enough monkeys in front of typewriters, give them enough paper and let them bang away at the keyboard long enough, they'll produce the works of William Shakespeare. I first heard that theory in eighth grade, which was 59 years ago. It was funny but I didn't fully understand the implications of it at the time.

Fast-forward to the digital age and now the Internet is where all the monkeys are hanging out, pounding on computer keyboards instead of typewriters (the present-day monkeys wouldn't know a typewriter from a toilet seat). Everyone is an expert these days, including the blithering idiot who thinks machine tools are designed to flex. Perhaps he should flex his cerebral cortex instead of his (digital) jaw muscles and learn something that wasn't typed by a monkey at a computer.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

curtis cutter wrote:Schedule 80 PVC. Some flex but not as much as schedule 40. Another good think about PVC is you can just twist wires together for the motor, leave them bare and not worry about getting a shock.
Plus it's easy to redesign the machine. A big saw, some fittings and PVC cement, and your PVC milling machine is suddenly a hydraulic press, whose built-in flexing capabilities will keep you from crunching your parts. :D
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This guy is calling me all sorts of filthy names. It's hilarious. He says he has several engineering degrees AND several physics degrees. And he "has" a multi-million-pound aerospace company. Maybe he stocks the vending machines there?
Patio

Post by Patio »

I would be interested to have a link to this conversation. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Sounds like an idiot to me.....

Pete
Just tryin'
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote:This guy is calling me all sorts of filthy names. It's hilarious. He says he has several engineering degrees AND several physics degrees. And he "has" a multi-million-pound aerospace company. Maybe he stocks the vending machines there?
An aerospace company that weighs several million pounds? :D Wow!

How about a link to the U-Toobe page so we can entertain ourselves reading this guy's :?: drivel.
spro

Post by spro »

While I agree about rigidity, maybe there is something else. CNC or whatever they call it now, is so active with precise drives at every plane, it depends upon actual measure of the parameters of the part. Fast forward to when motors at every conceivable plane do the impossible work and all the good heavy machines are gone. Then we lose power or EMP damages unsecured electronics. Stuff to consider as in " never put all the eggs in one basket".
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

IDK if that was on your page or someone else's Utoob channel. I do know there are people who troll those comment sections, trying to stir up arguments. You can search for their other comments on youtube and see them doing it to others. Perhaps you can throw back a different lie at them.

OR, if it is your channel, just do what I do. Banish them and remove their comments. They are toxic, no one wants to see that garbage. Legitimate disagreement is useful, but the wild claims of importance are red flags marking patties on which one should not step.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

This guy is too funny to ignore. I keep going back and saying things like, "Thanks for all the great comments. Keep it up." He snaps at the bait every time.