What to do with this metal

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ChipMaker4130

Re: What to do with this metal

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

7075 T-xx will cut just fine with your sabre saw and a hacksaw-like metal cutting blade. You'll need to make the cut with support close underneath the blade path and use WD-40 to help prevent dragging and keep the chips from clogging the teeth. A variable-speed saw on a slower stroke setting will make the job much more comfortable.

As for bandsaw work, I cut .040 7075 with a 10-14 variable pitch blade. That's actually a bit on the coarse side but if you don't over-feed it goes well.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks for your replies. Since I model large scale locomotives, I'm sure .040" aluminum sheet will come in handy. Actually in 1-1/2" scale, .040" works out to .32" full size thickness. I think my next purchase will be a DRO for my knee mill so I can accurately cut aluminum for my models.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

ChipMaker4130 wrote: As for bandsaw work, I cut .040 7075 with a 10-14 variable pitch blade. That's actually a bit on the coarse side but if you don't over-feed it goes well.
So do I. It can be a little noisy, but it works ok.