Acme or not ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Acme or not ?

Post by jcfx »

I found these "shopping" at the dumpster in the industrial park my shop is in.
At first glance they looked like acme threads, so I grabbed them, a quick check online
seemed at first to confirm that it's a 1" - 6 acme thread, so to double check I ordered an
inexpensive acme nut from McMaster, it was no go, even looking at the threads in
the nut I knew it wasn't going to fit, and it didn't. :(

Anyone have any idea what the thread is ?
Attachments
IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_4875.jpg
GlennW

Re: Acme or not ?

Post by GlennW »

Possibly Stub Acme.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Looks like is deeper than Acme and the crests rounded.
Measure the root diameter with a homemade sheet metal gauge if you can not get in with calipers.
Figure the ratio pitch to thread depth.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Since it appears not to be a buttress thread or a square thread, it is one of the Acme or Stub Acme threads as already mentioned. It may be a metric Acme or a home made screw.
The metric Acme is mentioned here: http://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/i ... reads1.htm
Your difficulty in finding a nut may be why it was in the dumpster.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Stub Acme is shallower than real Acme. I had a very painful experience with it, so now I am a stub Acme expert.

Stub Acme is for the outsides of thin tubes, so the thread has to be shallower in order to keep from weakening the tube.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I have three or four old acme looking threads, just like yours. Same experience. 1" x6 thread. Nothing fits. Mine are old, old, old. Came out of an estate sale from a retired machinist, sitting in the corner of a garage covered in rust and cob webs. I thought they might be useful as sort of a giant machinist jack. But, no dice as I can't find a nut to fit the threads. So there they sit, making more rust.

Whatuse would a stub acme thread be on a 1" solid steel shaft??

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

> What use would a stub acme thread be on a 1" solid steel shaft??

The nut might be thin-walled.

This might be a centralizing acme thread. Or they might just be older than complete standardization.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I found this - http://www.dependableacme.com/thread-gage-guide/
it seems to not be acme, at least according to the guide from the above link, it could be that this is a variation on an acme thread ?
Anyone remember the work stools and chairs that had to be spun to raise and lower ?
Were those acme or a wood thread like you would find in a push broom handle ?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Acme threads were an improvement on an earlier thread. Acme is not the only type of squarish power-driving thread.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

The base of the screw tells me that it was used in adjustable office chairs. The older high chairs, stools had an actual acme thread but they found that the wear was more side to side. It had to be quick adjustable so had to be a coarse thread.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

25mm metric something???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

spro - That's what I was leaning towards, that it may be some odd acme-like for furniture use, there are quite a few furniture
manufacturing places in my industrial park.

Bill - definitely not metric, the OD measures 27mm and nothing in McMasters catalog matches, and at $40 + for a nut
I wasn't going to order one, not that curious.

I ordered a acme thread pitch gage ( always wanted one and it was on sale ) and it definitely is an odd thread none of the
pitches fit. They go in my scrap pile, maybe I'll turn them down and use them as rod blanks or see if I can thread a nut based on the odd pitch.
Thanks all for chiming in.