Help with spacer sleeves

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Re: Help with spacer sleeves

Post by RSG »

Conrad, thanks for the link to the Thermal plastics too. While I don't think it will work for what I am doing here I have a new use for it masking for anodizing after reading about it's properties.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

RSG wrote:Hey guys,

Most of you know I make fishing reels and this is the time of year were I am at the assembly stage. Part of that involves producing spacer sleeves to set the correct space between the bearings in the journal. This requires a great deal of precision as the difference between the inner and outer sleeve thickness must be .00035" to set the proper preload. So my issue is machining them to this level of tolerance without having to take them to a granite table with fine sandpaper to hone them in.

The specifications are as follows:
Material - Aluminum
Size (Length) - Outer spacer - .2259"
-Inner spacer - .22555"

Currently I machine the dia and bore, then part off square. Then flip over and machine the other face in soft jaws. When finished they tend to be all over the place as far as dimension goes and the faces aren't parallel. They can be off as much as 3 or 4 tenths from one side to the other.

Is there a better way to do this so I can just part off at the correct measurement without having to keep taking the bearing out to hone the spacers several times for each reel.

Thanks in advance.
How close a tolerance are the retaining rings. Unless the retaining rings are hard up against the outer race of the bearing, they will be free to move axially. Maybe instead of rings, you could bore both sides and bore a .00035" step. I would then machine a threaded retaining ring for each side. I don't mean to re-design your project; just a thought for what it's worth.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Mr Ron wrote:
RSG wrote:Hey guys,

Most of you know I make fishing reels and this is the time of year were I am at the assembly stage. Part of that involves producing spacer sleeves to set the correct space between the bearings in the journal. This requires a great deal of precision as the difference between the inner and outer sleeve thickness must be .00035" to set the proper preload. So my issue is machining them to this level of tolerance without having to take them to a granite table with fine sandpaper to hone them in.

The specifications are as follows:
Material - Aluminum
Size (Length) - Outer spacer - .2259"
-Inner spacer - .22555"

Currently I machine the dia and bore, then part off square. Then flip over and machine the other face in soft jaws. When finished they tend to be all over the place as far as dimension goes and the faces aren't parallel. They can be off as much as 3 or 4 tenths from one side to the other.

Is there a better way to do this so I can just part off at the correct measurement without having to keep taking the bearing out to hone the spacers several times for each reel.

Thanks in advance.
How close a tolerance are the retaining rings. Unless the retaining rings are hard up against the outer race of the bearing, they will be free to move axially. Maybe instead of rings, you could bore both sides and bore a .00035" step. I would then machine a threaded retaining ring for each side. I don't mean to re-design your project; just a thought for what it's worth.
I was kind of thinking the same thought. If you secure the outer race then the inner race I assume would follow. A threaded retainer against one side of the outer race, while using the spacer would allow great adjustment of any tolerances in the outer race. Even a wave washer could be useful should temperatures changes cause any distortion.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mr Ron, the stepped spacer sounds good but might be harder to machine since you'd have to divide the difference for each side making it even harder to stay accurate. The way I do it now allows them to fit up individually which allows the bearings to run very quite and smooth and I think they need to be kept that way.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.