A question on sales here ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

A question on sales here ?

Post by John Evans »

Just picked up 300+ endmills and the question is how you guys would prefer to buy. To me a assortment in a small FR box for say $25-30 shipped would be the easiest and most cost effective way for me. Sizes range from under 1/8 to 1"+ with shanks under 3/4 . US and and import HHS ,import mostly Chinese but some other also. Large quantity of corncob roughers also. And can anyone here use 1"& 1-1/4" shank mills? Please give me your feedback on this.
TIA John
By the way all mills will be sharp ,dull/chipped in the recycle barrel.
www.chaski.com
choprboy

Re: A question on sales here ?

Post by choprboy »

I would say one group an assortment of size, and a second group all the same size. When your trying new things an assortment of different sizes is great. But I find once you have done a bit, having a group of all the same endmill size is far more handy. Other than special things, I now do almost all my steel milling with 3/8" bits (bulk and finish), 1/2" or 3/4" for aluminum, with 1 size step up for corncob roughers. Just makes it easier to go from one to another when working.
spro

Post by spro »

Choprboy answered good. Some would buy all the corn cobs or all the 1/2" which doesn't allow others to experience them. Whatever happens will be good yet I understand the hassle of everything being a custom order. I can only imagine keeping track of 300.
Tell you what. I'll shut up and let other opinions guide the procedure. I mean that if interested parties have an opinion, they are likely to buy them.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I for one would be interested in the dull ones also as I have a tool and cutter grinder. I can also use the 1" to 1 1/4" cutters.

Jack.