GREAT BIG GRIN!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

DianneB

GREAT BIG GRIN!

Post by DianneB »

(Just had to gloat to people who could appreciate the following tale ;) )

My lathe is a WWII (1944) South Bend "Heavy 10" that I acquired nearly 40 years ago. It had done 20 or more years in a community college and finished its days turning commutators for generators and starters so it was beat alltohell but was all I could afford. It had a 4" Cushman 3 jaw chuck that was beyond worn out! The bed had a drop of 0.0015" near the chuck and the best I could get the run-out on the chuck was 0.020" even after dressing the jaws. It was not a big deal since the only lathe work I had done in the past was 'crude' (though it did build a 1/2 scale traction engine in 1995/96).

Since I plan to do some work on my 7.5" gauge American this winter, I needed better accuracy so decided to see what I could do with the old South Bend so I stated by putting a dial indicator on the spindle. The dial indicator measures to 0.001" but there was no noticeable (let alone measurable) run-out on the spindle! I couldn't believe a 73 year old lathe could be that good so I checked and re-checked my setup but it was correct!

I considered making a 5C collet holder to fit the sleeve in the headstock but decided a 3 jaw chuck would be the most handy and versatile so last week I purchased a 6" Shars 3 jaw self-centring chuck with the backing plate for the South Bend 2-1/4 x 8 headstock.

This morning I turned the backing plate on the South Bend with as much care as I could manage and got a good snug fit to the chuck with less than 0.001" run-out on the chuck body. I don't have any drill rod but I chucked a piece of cold rolled steel and measured the run-out - less than 0.003" without any 'fudging' or fiddling!

That's quite an improvement over 0.020" ! I left the shop with a BIG GRIN on my face and feeling really good about my old South Send! IF I need better than 0.003" I am sure it is possible now!

(Just HAD to share!)
earlgo

Re: GREAT BIG GRIN!

Post by earlgo »

Great job. When you need more accuracy and/or the ability to hold something eccentric or rectangular then you will be looking for a 4-jaw chuck.
As someone who has fooled with a worn out lathe, I can appreciate what you have been through.
Yay for you.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Ironman1

Post by Ironman1 »

I know how you feel, Dianne.
My first 12x40 lathe was a Chinese one. (Had a baby Craftsman before.)
I found the tailstock pointed at the sky and was 6 thou higher than the headstock. I handscraped the tailstock to true one winter and it sure felt good, but I would never do that again.
Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune.- Jim Rohn

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
spro

Post by spro »

Hello Dianne. I have a question about your Heavy 10". I read somewhere that the bed resembled that of the ( light) 13". The total bed width is not the question. I would like to know if the flat areas between the Vee ways and Vee way and Flat way are exactly 1" .
spro

Post by spro »

There was a reason for my question. I built an adjustable plane with a sole to cut within the trued 1 " flats to the rebuilt areas of the vee ways and flats. It may matter later.