I know we have be patient with beginners (I am one, actually) but some things make you shudder.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

I know we have be patient with beginners (I am one, actually) but some things make you shudder.

Post by John Hasler »

From another forum:

"I was given a 30 year old Taig micro lathe with a 3 jaw chuck. I put a two inch piece of 1" diameter aluminum round bar in the chuck and put a dial
gauge on the bed. The bar measured +/- .017 inches as it spun. The jaws are aluminum so I took a flat file to them. I got it to +/- .004 via trial and
error."
neanderman

Re: I know we have be patient with beginners (I am one, actually) but some things make you shudder.

Post by neanderman »

<facepalm>
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
10KPete

Re: I know we have be patient with beginners (I am one, actually) but some things make you shudder.

Post by 10KPete »

Oy! Well, everyone has to start somewhere. But why do they seem to start with ruining a good piece of equipment???

:roll: :roll:

"I recently bought a lathe and after I ran it a while it sorta made a grinding sound and this big gear fell out....."

"Where does this thingie go? It was left over after I put the machine back together...."

"Should I be oiling this?"

Pete
Just tryin'
spro

Post by spro »

It would seem, with all the info available, this wouldn't happen. I actually think people are lonely in their recent explorations. They don't mind busting a few things if they get a selfie and immediate confirmation either way.