Die head size

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Die head size

Post by SteveM »

I found a box full of geometric die head chasers

How do I tell what die head they go to?

Steve
earlgo

Re: Die head size

Post by earlgo »

SteveM: Found this and it may even be helpful: http://www.newmantools.com/chasers/gdhcap.pdf

When I was 'between jobs' in the past, I sharpened a few Geometric die sets , but never had a head to work with.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

The size of the die head is marked on the box that the die set comes in.
The Newman tool list above is only of the die head sizes, and not the die sets themselves
If you have no individual boxes , then you will need to measure a die and post the dims here.
I have 3 Geometric heads (5/16, 9/16, and 3/4) and the dies are all different .

Rich
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ok then try these folks:http://www.internationalscrew.com/pages ... metric.htm
Note that the Geometric business is now owned by Landis Threading Systems, so try here: http://www.internationalscrew.com/pages ... eading.htm

There used to be a Teledyne-Landis that bought out Teledyne-Oster, the threading equipment company I used to work for. Landis Threading may be the offshoot of T-L, but who knows, these days. Oster threading equipment is now made by Superior Threading in Owasso, MI. Superior is owned by a former T-O sales manager. One needs a score-card to keep up.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Some of the chasers I have, have the head size marked on them. Clean up a few and look closely.
spro

Post by spro »

This thread got me to thinking about my Rickert- Shafer automatic die head. It is very old yet in good shape. The chasers are of a style as another manufacturer, Modern Machine. So I was looking past those while not knowing that Modern bought R-S around 1975 .
spro

Post by spro »

Recently seen are numerous Rickert Shafer heads and chasers. Most are sold now. I quit looking and missed that window. This gets back to a particularly nice shaped handle which has been replaced by a bolt and sleeve.
Many thought these old heads were shot and over because there were no other chasers. They are there but reasonable expensive. Probably tons of them went to scrap or went to other purposes because we didn't have the "net" then. 1911 patent to even 1998 is a stretch (except for other tools) so many are lost. I digress. The handle of them is a work of art. It is a finial of first order AND that is why we can see these heads anew with bolts instead of the originals.