Note on Jacobs chucks

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Note on Jacobs chucks

Post by whateg0 »

Pete, what brand are the Chinese chucks you bought? I've been thinking of adding another drill chuck to the collection for the 10ee for those times when I need to drill multiple sizes. I currently have one with a center drill, and two others for normal twist drills. A recent job would have benefitted from a third and keyless is looking more and more appealing!

Dave
pete

Re: Note on Jacobs chucks

Post by pete »

Hi Dave,
I bought 3 of Glacern Machine Tools integral shank keyless chucks. Two of them with an R8 taper and one with an MT 3 for the lathe. That was 6-7 ? years ago so no telling if there using the same manufacturer or not. All 3 tested to about .0015" runout with one R8 running just barely over .001" My Albrecht with a seperate shank runs about .001" At the time I paid around $110 each and I see there now up to about $150. Current MSC price for the same 1/2" Albrecht with that integral shank is $518. Mine are maybe a touch less smooth than a real Albrecht and maybe or likely in commercial use the off shore ones might not last quite as long as the German made, but I was pretty happy with what I got. I'm assuming there Chinese made because of the price, but don't know that for sure. Whoever did make them did a pretty nice job on the internals as there no tight or loose spots at all and as I said nice and smooth throughout the whole adjustment range. I really like the keyless for 1/2" or less drills on a lathe and think the integral shank just makes it even better. If you do buy one I'd be real interested in what the current quality is. If there still the same as what I have I'd say there certainly worth todays higher price.