Face plate options?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bentworker

Face plate options?

Post by Bentworker »

I had to break out the face plate to turn down a transmission part yesterday. It is a clutch apply plate. I was lazy and tried to do it in a three jaw, but ended up with about .006” difference in thickness, so I clamped it to the front of my face plate and made a second cut. Got the difference down to less than .002” (plenty good for what it is).

This got me thinking about faceplates, and I found one from Smithy that is a direct d1-4 mount (that is what my spindle is). The second photo is the one from Smithy, anybody know of any other importers that sell something similar with t-slots? Not that I have something against Smithy but they want $180 plus shipping.

DDAF8F68-64E7-4B60-800E-141903493F5D.jpeg
794C678F-16A3-4EA4-AAEE-095C10013D4F.png
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
SteveM

Re: Face plate options?

Post by SteveM »

ebay.

Check your PM.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

D1-4 faceplates are a bit of a rarity on eBay, but I found one for under $80 a couple of months back. Price depends on diameter I think. I had to look on and off for a couple of weeks, but did find one. Of course, haven’t used it since it showed up on my doorstep. But they are around. Keep looking till the right one comes your way.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Recently made another pilgrimage to Small Tools Inc. in Euclid, Ohio and am eternally astonished at the amount of surplus stuff they have. You'd have to see it to believe it.

You might check with:
Mark Glover mark@smalltools.com 1-800-821-2674
Small Tools Inc
26470 Lakeland Blvd
Euclid, OH 44132

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bentworker wrote: I was lazy and tried to do it in a three jaw, but ended up with about .006” difference in thickness,
Can you say "soft jaws"?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote:
Bentworker wrote: I was lazy and tried to do it in a three jaw, but ended up with about .006” difference in thickness,
Can you say "soft jaws"?

H
Soft jaws are not just for concentricity - when you turn the bore to a shoulder, your part will go in perpendicular to the bore every time.

A friend asked me to drill a hole in about 30 stainless steel caps. We bored the soft jaws to depth and just swapped parts in about 2 seconds and they call came out identical.

I have some soft jaws for sale for 6" chucks, of you have one with 2-piece jaws.
https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 5&p=376366

Steve