LED Shop Lighting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Inspector

Re: LED Shop Lighting

Post by Inspector »

Bill with the amount of lights you need you should consider buying direct from the manufacturers in China rather than pay the markup the importers charge. The only problem is Chinese New Year starts about the 9th and goes to the 25th of this month, longer for some companies. I bought from these guys and recommend them. You know I wouldn't steer you wrong. ;) https://www.lonyung.com I wish I could have afforded the Tri-Proof lights they make.

More details of my purchase in this thread.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 24#p369758

Some guys "testing" their Tri-Proof.

https://youtu.be/42KxLhIV7eg
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

My installation will be from scratch; I don't have existing fluorescent tube fixtures. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know nothing (actually, now I know NEXT to nothing about LED tube lights, which is a little better than nothing) about LED tube lights.

Of course, I looked online. I counted 1.772 bazillion options. If you will critique this Home Depot offering, I will learn from the pros and cons you point out and be able to go from there . . .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EnviroLite- ... /300380331

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Looking at the specs.....
I'm trying to understand why each tube pulls 56 watts, and a total of 224 watts???
I measured the 4-footers I bought, and they are 18 watts each, which would be a total of 72 watts in a (4) tube fixture. All the tubes were 18 watts.

My original High output 8' fluorescent (2) tube fixtures pulled 220 watts, and are not as bright as either the 4' or 8' tubes I bought.
I wonder if there's a typo or something?

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

The Envirolite web page does not jive with the Home De' Pot page.

http://envirolite-led.com/ProductDetail ... 19de972c25

Other Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

And to add to the confusion, one page on the Enviro site says 80 watts, and the Enviro spec sheet says 320 watts.

http://envirolite-led.com/ProductDetail ... 19de972c25

Worthy of a phone call.....or a test at Home De' Pot with a watt meter.

A confused Other Bill
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am Looking at the specs.....
I'm trying to understand why each tube pulls 56 watts, and a total of 224 watts???
I measured the 4-footers I bought, and they are 18 watts each, which would be a total of 72 watts in a (4) tube fixture. All the tubes were 18 watts.

My original High output 8' fluorescent (2) tube fixtures pulled 220 watts, and are not as bright as either the 4' or 8' tubes I bought.
I wonder if there's a typo or something?

Other Bill

Confusing, I agree. I think that sometimes they mean the actual power required by their lamps and other times they mean the the amount of power to get the same level of lighting out of fluorescents.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Be nice if their specifications....were specific! ;)

I was just reading in the Q&A, and it said 14 watts per tube.
That makes sense. Mine are 18 watts per tube, but also have 2240 lumens, and the Enviro's are 1800...assuming they got that spec right!

Other Bill
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

The initial actual lumens will be more than the specified lumens because the latter is what the lamp is supposed to put out after a specified number of hours of operation.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Pete and Bill and All--

Pete, I will read your link and thread. Thank you.

I bought a test tube, pictured below, from Home Depot: $89.99. I'll stick it up in the garage and see what I think. I'm pretty sure it may not be the final product, especially given the resources provided hereon. But, it will give me something to base more thinking on.

This 8 foot, four-tube light fixture produces 4000 lumens. Are the tubes replaceable or if something fails you just replace the entire four-tube fixture? (I bet the "no bulbs required" statement means you can't replace a failed one.)
The attachment IMG_7211.jpg is no longer available
IMG_7210.jpg
Thanks!

--Other Really Confused Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

For some reason, I couldn't get both pictures to stick in one post. Here's the other one . . .
IMG_7211.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My 2 cents....and non-sense....
(I'm good at non-sense_

Integrated means non-serviceable. If it goes bad, or even partially bad, you replace the whole fixture for 90 bucks. I hate things that are not serviceable...but that's just me.
My 8' tubes were 30 bucks a pop, but that included the tombstones to convert, as I had HO fluorescents which have (2) pins at each end not (1), and each also included center hangers clips. (You need those with 8' tubes)

An example of non-serviceable, would be the $10.00 4' fixtures I have from Walmart. The tubes are replaceable. The ballasts are not standard ballasts, there is one for each tube, and they are installed into the end housing. They don't sell them, nor does the manufacturer. You can remove them though, and rewire for non-ballast LED's.

4000K is fine....but more incandescent in color. Still whiter than a fluorescent though. I installed some at my wife's place of biz a while ago. Still fantastic bright light, but yellower.
I prefer the 5000K, and even the 6000K. I have some 6000K's I put in two (2) tube 4-footers in my tool-room, and so far I'm liking them. I think it's just a matter of personal preference.
The difference in lumens between the colors is minimal. Per the mfg of mine, the 4000K is 4100 lumens, the 5000K & 6000K is 4200 lumens. Mostly a matter of color.

For a 4-tube 8' fixture....seems a bit dim. Each of my 4' tubes is rated at 2240, so a 4-tube fixture would be 8960.

One other note about serviceability....is the tubes I bought are made to replace existing fixtures, with a ballastectomy and a bit of rewire. This was important to me...as I have a bunch of old T-12's. Everybody and their brother seems to sell that flavor of tubes, more so than others, so finding replacement tubes should, emphasis on should, be easier in the future. Just a thought.

:)
Other Bill
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Remembering that a few days ago I bought 4' replacement LED tubes from Costco and they worked in the fluorescent fixture I tried. Well I pulled out another fixture from 'inventory' and it said for T-12 bulbs only. The LED tubes fitted and when I turned it on the tubes gave off a medium soft glow, not nearly as bright as the fluorescent tubes I pulled out.
So the question is, does the T-12 fixture need some sort of ballastectomy? And if so, how would this EI do that?
--earlgo (EI = electrical incompetent, mostly)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.