Recent Projects

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Recent Projects

Post by John Evans »

Well really decided I liked the hand wheel collet closer on my SB H10, but being I now have 2 lathes with taper attachments and could use the room the Heavy 10 is probably be looking for a new home. So I decided to see if I could make a closer for the Clausing ,first problem is it has a MT 4-1/2 taper in the spindle ,hard to find the adapter sleeve for it. Visited a Gent I know that has LOTS of tooling ,doesn't have a store as such though. Long story real short got a complete hand closer with the needed adapter plus a a MT 5 adapter for the Chinese 12" plus a back plate for my B&S 13 grinder and a L00 mount 8" 4jaw chuck.
The draw tube on the closer was too short for the Clausing ,but long enough for the 12".Not a problem as I had a piece of DOM tube that I had already threaded internally for the collet. Just transferred the hand wheel parts to that tube. Noted the way that was made and turned up 2 pieces to hold the hand wheel and take the thrust bearing and center on the OD of the left end of the spindle. Note the extended point set screw ,that locks into the tube working as a key. Thought I knew everything ,didn't know they made these. :oops:
The deal on the back plate for the grinder ! The dang thing uses a 1.5 X 6 !!! Thread !! Figured I was going to have to make a plate if I ever wanted to mount a 4 jaw chuck on the work head. Cliff has a bunch of chucks and misc. back plates ,looked at several and this the thread sure looked course . Lucky me it was 6 thread . :D Internal bore was right size but a bit short to register on the spindle shoulder. Had a drop that was just what was needed and a quick pass through the surface grinder made a parallel faced spacer.
Attachments
recent projects 005.JPG
recent projects 004.JPG
recent projects 001.JPG
recent projects 002.JPG
grinder back plate
grinder back plate
www.chaski.com