Category: Who cares?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Category: Who cares?

Post by earlgo »

I had a coupon for a Digital Caliper from HF and thought I could get another #62569. the one that holds its numbers when it shuts off. The coupon was for a #47257 which is the same number as the old ones that shut off and lost their mind. This version looked different so I said what the heck, I have 90 days to return it. Surprise, surprise, as the saying goes. In this version, the LCD stays lit for 8 min by the clock and the reading stays there when it is turned back on. Furthermore, if it has been off for a while and the slide is moved, it turns on the display and is reading the correct position just like the 62569.
HF either had too many complaints or they realized it wasn't selling anymore. Anyhow, it is improved.
Less than a micrometer, but still better than a scale.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Re: Category: Who cares?

Post by spro »

Veiled praise.. No. Worry. When they get it all right, there is too much more up their sleeve. They. Them. CHINA baby, CHINA! From tooth brushes to toilet paper and in between.
MrWhoopee

Post by MrWhoopee »

I've noticed a continuing evolution of the products from HF. It's readily apparent in the feedback for items that they've carried for a long time. Complaints from years ago seem to have been resolved as they are no longer mentioned. After reading all the feedback on their 4x6 bandsaw, I bought one. No complaints except the power cord should exit the machine from the motor end instead of the operator end. Even the blade is still cutting straight and square (I run it slow).
spro

Post by spro »

Can't be perfecto at that price. Notice all the small trailers have disappeared ? Hey they weren't promising a rose garden or overloading while driving highway speeds. So now they are gone.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

In the world economy, product quality goes up and some go down. It appears that it has gone up in Japan while the same has gone down in the U.S. Mainland China has the capability to produce quality products as does any other country. Quality depends on how much it will cost to implement. It looks like HF is improving their product and therefore their image while a company like Skil is going the opposite direction. I would not underestimate HF, but I would still be cautious. More and more good buys are coming out of HF.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
spro

Post by spro »

I noticed HF has yet another sale going on thru this weekend. 20% off coupon means their newer small MIG welder is $87.00 This is an updated 125A unit and the reviews are good. I have a MIG but it is a heavy unit 100 miles away now.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

$87!!!!!
Jeez, it's cheaper to buy a new one than to go get your old one.

I don't have mig or tig, the gas bottle rental is a killer here.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

My calipers shut off and pressing the on button resets the numbers (or turns it off).

My HF dual mig welder is probably close to 20 years old now and works about the same as it always has. I've only run a couple of spools of flux core wire through it.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...