What is this toolholder?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

What is this toolholder?

Post by SteveM »

Found this toolholder in my dad's shop:
20180130_203123.jpg
20180130_203129.jpg
It has a square hole at the end for a 1/4" tool bit and a screw to hold that in.

The piece that is inset into a groove below the hole is held in place with a pin, but I can't move the piece, so it looks like it's not a hinge pin.

Any idea what this is?

I was thinking that it was some form of spring tool.

Steve
BadDog

Re: What is this toolholder?

Post by BadDog »

Looks like it's a spring tool for an old lantern tool post. The tongue-n-groove below would help provide lateral stability, but still allow the tool to move down and away should it encounter problems.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm Looks like it's a spring tool for an old lantern tool post. The tongue-n-groove below would help provide lateral stability, but still allow the tool to move down and away should it encounter problems.
OK, that makes sense.

Thanks

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

BadDog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm Looks like it's a spring tool for an old lantern tool post. The tongue-n-groove below would help provide lateral stability, but still allow the tool to move down and away should it encounter problems.
It does look like a spring something or other, but how would they manufacture something like that from one piece?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Heat to red, beat to move, and finish.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

how would they manufacture something like that from one piece?
The picture is not clear but it looks like the tongue is held in a mortise in the bottom left. In such case the part can be forged and the tenon force fit after.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you are referring to the cross bar under the big hole, it is pinned in place.

You can just see the outline of the pin in the second picture, just to the left of the split.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

SteveM wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm If you are referring to the cross bar under the big hole, it is pinned in place.

You can just see the outline of the pin in the second picture, just to the left of the split.

Steve
I blew it up and now I can see how it was made. It looks like there are 2 pins holding the crossbar in place; the one you pointed out and another to it's left in the curved area. It could have been machined and not require any heating and forging. If it were forged, how would the hole survive not being distorted? I still think it is a spring tool holder. The crossbar is just to prevent the tool from twisting.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

It looks to me that the tool holder was first forged
(which included the bend/angle) and then the 'hole'
drilled/bored and the mortise cut and tenon inserted.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. Some earlier ones were merely a split forged and finished. Then they had a heavy "clock spring" and a pin (to alighn). This is a gooseneck variation with the tongue to serve that purpose and since it was made for 1/4" tools, they already knew the relative pressure and spring.