Spin Grinding Wheel Before Starting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Spin Grinding Wheel Before Starting

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm ......................................... I ended up turning the tube three times, reducing the wall to an average of about .045". Polishing was accomplished under a constant flood of coolant. One hell of a messy job, but with a great outcome. ....................

H
Chuckle
Obviously you didn't hold size !

Rich
Harold_V

Re: Spin Grinding Wheel Before Starting

Post by Harold_V »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:32 am
Harold_V wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm ......................................... I ended up turning the tube three times, reducing the wall to an average of about .045". Polishing was accomplished under a constant flood of coolant. One hell of a messy job, but with a great outcome. ....................

H
Chuckle
Obviously you didn't hold size !

Rich
Size was what ever I ended up with, as the mating piece (the bushing in which the piece would move along its centerline) was not yet machined. I knew it would be difficult, and that shooting for a given size would not be wise. I was at liberty to match sizes concerning this project, so long as the end result was functional, as it was a custom build, and not intended to be interchangeable with anything else. Had that not been the case, I wouldn't have pursued the project, as working with welded thin walled stainless tubing is VERY unpredictable, as you most likely know.

One of the tough lessons I learned was that heat, alone, was my enemy. After the second turning, I had an acceptable cylinder, which was lost in polishing. That's when I turned to polishing under flood conditions, which solved the problem. The thin wall of the tubing was very easy to over heat.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.