Slitting saw

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Slitting saw

Post by John Hasler »

I read everything you write.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Earlgo
Cut off wheel .... great idea , worked perfectly .
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Glad to hear it.
That technique always worked for me when it was needed.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Again I wish I had a surface grinder. I need a .050" slit 1.5" into the end of a 1"x1"x2.5" part. I'm looking at making it in two pieces and then brazing them.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Shaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

WJH wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am Shaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Another thing I wish I had.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I've tried making slits with the shaper. My little Logan 8. Is fairly rigid for a small shaper but if you make one false move that thin little tool breaks real easy .
pete

Post by pete »

One of my old machinist books briefly touches on slitting saws with some information I've not seen anywhere else but it seems to work in practice. They recommend for deep slots to get a cut line established first. Make a cut .050" or so first then each further cut no deeper than the tooth gullets as some else mentioned. They also state the recommended sfpm should be reduced to 50% - 60% of what normal hss cutting tools are listed at for the same material. So 50-60 rpm for a 4" diameter slitting saw in mild steel. My mill in back gear with a vfd will go that slow but many of the smaller mills just don't have enough torque left at those slow speeds. They don't detail exactly why, but my guesses are the first cut is light enough the blade shouldn't wander and that first straight slot helps to guide the next cut a bit. The slower than recommended surface speed is likely because so much of the tool is buried in the cut so heat is more of an issue?