dial restoration

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rusty69

dial restoration

Post by rusty69 »

I have an old B/P and Monarch dials, which were that shiny steel finish originally, but have dulled considerably, with some rust, too. They are not easy to read. How can I clean them up, without obliterating the markings further?
Is there any way to have them plated so they look like a Starrett "satin chrome" scale?
Harold_V

Re: dial restoration

Post by Harold_V »

Are the markings engraved? If so, you might consider bead blasting (to remove rust and provide a matt finish), then filling the engraving with black paint. A more dull finish could be achieved using fine aluminum oxide instead of glass beads.

There's also a hard wax crayon that can be used to fill such things, although it most likely would not be impervious to oils. Lacquer paint would be. With a little practice, you can achieve respectable results.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rusty69

Post by rusty69 »

yes, they are engraved, but after 60 -80 years wear and tear they look a little faint. My 60+ year old eyes don't make it any better, hahaha. My Sajo mill is 52 yrs old and has satin chrome dials that are super easily read, so I was just wondering if I could duplicate that kind of treatment on the B/P and Monarch dials.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That satin chrome finish used by Starrett makes a huge difference. I have a multitude of Starrett rulers, all satin chrome. Switching to one that has no chrome is now very difficult for me, what with my 78 year old eyes, which were, at one time, to be admired. I can only dream of the 20-15 vision I used to enjoy.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm That satin chrome finish used by Starrett makes a huge difference. I have a multitude of Starrett rulers, all satin chrome. Switching to one that has no chrome is now very difficult for me, what with my 78 year old eyes, which were, at one time, to be admired. I can only dream of the 20-15 vision I used to enjoy.
My eyes are a lot younger, but I have trouble with the non-satin rulers, and my eyes still ARE 20-15, just not within about 24" from my face :-)

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Our eyeballs change over time. When I was younger I had super vision "close up" I actually fixed watches with steady fingers. I was "near sighted" and distance was fuzzy. It turns that my later glasses are too strong for clear distance. Some from the 1970's are more appropriate for distance but now I need magnifiers for close work.