Machinist Tool Identification

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Shell

Re: Machinist Tool Identification

Post by Shell »

ctwo wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 pm I do not know what that first item is, and am intrigued by the square dial gauge looking item in the third image.

Is this the item you meant? It says MAXPM on it and .0001" the maker is Federal. Model says DEI-11121-D that last digit could possibly be an 0?
Hope that helps clear it up. I see he had a sticker on the side with a price for $125 so he must have decided to sell it at some earlier date and just guessing he would have put higher value maybe than he should have...
Attachments
20180421_135430-1.jpg
Shell

Post by Shell »

earlgo wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am A thought occurred to me as I was cleaning out gutters. Is there a trade school near you, or a high school with a shop teacher, or a retired machinist? Any one of those may have or be a person familiar with your equipment and may be talked into visiting and sharing his knowledge for a cup of lemonaide. You'd be well served to find someone to help you before you start to sell off things.
A catalog from Starrett or MSC or Travers Tool would certainly help, also.
--earlgo
This is a fantastic idea! I am going to check our local HS to see if they do have that sort of class, I would love to donate some in his name to them I can't believe I didnt think of that, thanks so much for cleaning your gutters lol
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Shell, if you have the rest of that Federal gauge and it all works....
make sure you're sitting down !

https://willrich.com/product/mahr-feder ... -t-vplate/
Shell

Post by Shell »

jcfx wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm Shell, if you have the rest of that Federal gauge and it all works....

WOWEEE! Holy smokes that's shocking! Only I don't recall coming across anything that looks like the remainder of that set-up, do you suppose it would sell alone? Ive still another 40ft cargo box to go through, perhaps it will be in there.

That's a great site I'm finding many of these items on it. Thank you
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

And if you do find the rest ,if it brings more than $-3-400 on the used market I would be surprised. a lot of that specialized tooling is very limited sales so it is reflected in the new cost.
www.chaski.com
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The gauge alone is available for close to $500 new.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

jcfx wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm Shell, if you have the rest of that Federal gauge and it all works....

Saw that or a very similar item in use on the production floor of a job shop. Very valuable tool for the guys that need them. Sadly there are so few job shops left.... tends to be hard to find them when I want something made.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

John Evans wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 pm And if you do find the rest ,if it brings more than $-3-400 on the used market I would be surprised. a lot of that specialized tooling is very limited sales so it is reflected in the new cost.
Doesn't look very specialized to me. Who doesn't need to measure IDs and ODs?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

ctwo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am The gauge alone is available for close to $500 new.
Isn't the readout just a really nice DI?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I think the resolution is very high, 1 or 0.5 µm (12 millionths inches?)
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Shell

Post by Shell »

John Evans wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 pm And if you do find the rest ,if it brings more than $-3-400 on the used market I would be surprised. a lot of that specialized tooling is very limited sales so it is reflected in the new cost.
Well, I am not sure if I have done something wrong or if there is some special way but I changed the battery to a new one and sadly it doesn't come on... there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it on a visual inspection but that is the best I can do after that, I wouldn't have a clue.

Parts maybe?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Shell wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 am
Well, I am not sure if I have done something wrong or if there is some special way but I changed the battery to a new one and sadly it doesn't come on... there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it on a visual inspection but that is the best I can do after that, I wouldn't have a clue.

Parts maybe?
Almost certainly easily repaired. Have you been through the other container yet to see if you have the rest of it?