Machinist Tool Identification

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Shell

Machinist Tool Identification

Post by Shell »

Good Evening,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I came across this forum while painfully searching the web trying to identify many tools I know nothing about. As I read here, I saw there were many knowledgeable people answering questions for folks like me, so I thought maybe posting some of the tools I inherited here for you to see, might help to end some of my suffering ;0}

I was able with some giant books to match up some of them, but there are SO many, and some that are so similar to the next one that I threw in the towel after a few hours each time I tried. I have listed one item on eBay, my fear is that I don't have enough info to accurately describe them, and then trying to find out what or if they have value, I'd sure rather sell them all then spend what might take years to list them. I am hoping that someone might be able to advise me on the value of them (they're mostly vintage but much of it is New old stock I suppose), or maybe how I can lump them together to sell in lots to make it less tedious and time consuming. Any advice or information would be so helpful! I took photo's of some of the chaos I am trying to sort through, but there is so much more! I would also be very happy to make anyone a super amazing deal for the help!
Attachments
tools 066.JPG
tools 068.JPG
tools 069.JPG
tools 070.JPG
tools 071.JPG
tools 073.JPG
Shell

Re: Machinist Tool Identification

Post by Shell »

I know that this stuff is called tap and die but that's about the extent of my knowledge there, there is also all new Starrett parts, like the little wheels, some even with jewels the faces and all kinds of other tiny parts that are new, then tools that are giant as well, the thing I listed is a cylindrical square by Brown & Sharpe I have 2 of them the brands I mentioned are the majority of all these items...It's all making me crazy!
Attachments
tools 078.JPG
tools 080.JPG
tools 079.JPG
tools 081.JPG
tools 082.JPG
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The things that look like c clamps are micrometers used for fine measurements. It looks like you have a few different types that are not that common in small shops. Anything with points, blades, or V's could be worth just a tad more. Sometimes these have additional accessories that are useful, such as additional anvils and inserts.

If you are going to sell I would group all the like items together to make it a little easier to sort through and identify.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Looking through your pictures fully 50% of the items are scrap or have so little value as to not be worth the time to try to sell. I saw one micrometer that is for measuring 3 or 5 flute cutters/taps. If you were selling this lot on say Craigslist here in Phoenix I'd offer $200-300 depending on makers of the items and condition. Rusty dull taps and dies are pretty much worthless. Put the lot on Craigslist starting at say $600-700 and drop price $50-100 a week untill it sells. A new mic that sells for $150 for name brand is worth used about $20-25 in excellent condition. I have been buying and selling this stuff for the last 10 years or so ,so I have a pretty good idea on value.
www.chaski.com
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

If you sign in and then hit the down arrow near your sign in name at the upper right of the board, then you can edit your profile and perhaps list approximately where you are located. If you are near a board member, then maybe someone might volunteer to visit and help identify and quantify what you have. That would help you sort out the good from the not. Just a thought.
In my opinion there are a lot of items that a beginning hobbyist could use, in spite of some being in rough shape. Micrometers, combination squares, tap handles, die handles, etc. are all useful. I had to comb flea markets and garage sales for a lot of the stuff I have in my toolbox, because I couldn't afford new while raising 4 kids. (I have a Vernier protractor with 2 different names vibro-etched on it.)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

What earlgo said, as as our old friend Ken572 used to say "make sure you add your worldly location to your profile!"

Would be worth sorting that stuff by category, and taking new pics to advertise. Things that measure....spread out together. Taps & dies, and handles etc, same thing...and on & on.
Hard to tell what is there when it's in one big heap!

The stainless eraser template for drafting is a kick! (last pic in the first post) I have a couple of those!

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Shell

Post by Shell »

Thank you all so much! This is kinda what I was thinking on a lot of this, as it obviously has been improperly stored loosely in Vidmars. There are many things that are still in the original boxes and unused. I believe there is a CNC machine as well although I am not sure if it is complete. I had thought lumping things together that 'look alike' would be best since I am unfamiliar with most of this stuff, then had a friend tell me that people would need them in "sets" arrrgghh! There are many of the things that you mentioned Bill, they are scattered and I didn't know (my only drafting was 7th grade) they belonged to this lot. There are drawers of stones round square in all sizes that I thought might be sharpeners so didn't think they went with it either. Also some power tools some that look like Dremels but way too powerful to be and all stainless, there are C clamps the size of bicycle tires! But if the whole lot is worth $600-$700 then I am glad that the original owner isn't here to hear it, as he seemed to think it was part of his fortune lol. I am going to begin separating items, they are all oiled so maybe that will save some and many of the bits are covered in wax or rubber or in wooden boxes.
What do you think of all the parts, it seems they are micrometer parts the faces and turny things, hands, grommets things like that, they are also unused, do you think there is any value in those? I added to my profile that I am in San Diego! Thank you again for taking your time to respond to me, I really appreciate it a lot and I love learning new things!
Shell

Post by Shell »

ctwo wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 pm Anything with points, blades, or V's could be worth just a tad more. Sometimes these have additional accessories that are useful, such as additional anvils and inserts.
Now I am getting the hang of this! Thank you, this actually helps quite a lot as there are many things that look like they go to something but I had no idea what. They are like thick pieces of aluminum with cut outs and such so maybe that is what I need to look up. There are large metal and machining books but soooo much info I get lost and then a headache LOL. There is a giant Anvil in fact but also these big flat heavy just metal slabs, they have Starrett on them but they are?? nothing but a piece of metal, is that a type of Anvil perhaps?
Shell

Post by Shell »

John Evans wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:35 pm Looking through your pictures fully 50% of the items are scrap or have so little value as to not be worth the time to try to sell. I saw one micrometer that is for measuring 3 or 5 flute cutters/taps. If you were selling this lot on say Craigslist here in Phoenix I'd offer $200-300 depending on makers of the items and condition. Rusty dull taps and dies are pretty much worthless. Put the lot on Craigslist starting at say $600-700 and drop price $50-100 a week untill it sells. A new mic that sells for $150 for name brand is worth used about $20-25 in excellent condition. I have been buying and selling this stuff for the last 10 years or so ,so I have a pretty good idea on value.
Thank you, this is exactly why I am here to ask the experts! I was an eBay seller for 13 years but I sold handbags, this stuff reminds me of Math class that I hated so very much LOL. There are some of those measurement tools that are 4 feet long in wood boxes, he purchased a machining company and over the years had cronies around that would steal, I think that the limited minds of those people (limited to what they could scrap) is why some things were untouched, they had no idea what they were, or what they were made of perhaps!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Hardened machined blocks are useful in machining. The anvils I mention would be for the micrometers, small button size. You can use google image search for micrometer anvil. Any other obscure piece we could likely give you the terms on sight and you could search that way.

precede everything with "machinist" and search:

blocks
v-block
caliper
micrometer
edge finder
angle
combination
scribe
hole
reamer
end mill
tap
die
thread
gauge
insert
punch
chuck
jaw
tools (lathe tool, mill tool)

search craigslist and ebay for machinist tools, machinist lot, or just machinist under for sale.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Those 4" items in wood boxes may be vernier or dial calipers .Very expensive new if name brand like B&S or Starrett etc. But, for excellent used 10-20% of new . The machinist trade has shrunk big time in the last 20 years or so ,so that has hurt value of used tools. Many so called machinist's nowadays are nothing more that a guy that pushes a green button.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Shell wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 pm There is a giant Anvil in fact but also these big flat heavy just metal slabs, they have Starrett on them but they are?? nothing but a piece of metal, is that a type of Anvil perhaps?
That is likely Starrett precision ground flat stock. Generally not used as an anvil. Sold to be used in making parts for what ever--with material that is held to specific sizes. It's like buying 2 x 4 lumber, but for metal workers. Tool makers often use this type of material, depending on their needs. It is generally sold in specific lengths, such as 36", as an example. You may find similar material by other makers.

You should be able to reference a Starrett price book to get an idea of value. If it isn't rusted or in rough shape, there is a market, although not everyone is willing to pay for the higher quality it provides. Be sure to keep the wrappers with the material, assuming they are present. They often describe the nature of the material, so heat treat can be accomplished.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.