Toolbox drawer dividers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Toolbox drawer dividers

Post by SteveM »

Got some new wider toolboxes to replace a multitude of Kenendy 520's that had been proliferating like rabbits.

Only issue is that the drawers in the new boxes are so wide (34") that things can just get pushed around all over the place.

Was trying to figure what to do when I needed a fork and then it came to me.
20180517_202602.jpg
Got these at Bed Bath & Beyond. The underside is not very thick, so if you put a lot of weight in them and try to take them out, they might break (they are made of bamboo), but sitting in the drawer is no problem, and the thin bottom means it's not taking up hardly any space.

These come in all different sizes, including these, a bunch of single compartment boxes and some where the sides slide out to fit the space.

We have the two of the small ones in the utensil drawer in the kitchen - brought the drawer to the store and tried stuff until we found what fit.

I have a drawer that is just a little too thin for these, so I may try cutting it down a bit.

Steve
RSG

Re: Toolbox drawer dividers

Post by RSG »

Looks good Steve!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I was just drawing up some similar but sized to fit the drawer of my tool cart that sits by the mill. Figured I'd design them to slot together and maybe make them configurable. Then laser cut them. Ready made solutions are pretty cool when they work, though.

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 pm I was just drawing up some similar but sized to fit the drawer of my tool cart that sits by the mill. Figured I'd design them to slot together and maybe make them configurable. Then laser cut them. Ready made solutions are pretty cool when they work, though.
Yea, that's why it makes sense to bring a drawer to the store, like we did with the kitchen drawer. We were able to fit two of the small ones in the utensil drawer with only about 1/4-1/2" to spare. Anything else would just have been guessing.

Just clean and degrease your toolbox drawer before you bring it to the store :-)

Steve
TOTALLYRC

Post by TOTALLYRC »

Looks good Steve.
You can also use drawer liner for the areas that are left open

Mike