Hazardous metal dust?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Hazardous metal dust?

Post by Mr Ron »

Because I mostly machine aluminum, I'm starting to be concerned about the effects of aluminum dust on my health. Other than wearing a mask, what else should I be aware of ? I have heard that aluminum absorbed into the body can lead to alzheimer's disease and dementia. I checked with Web MD and they didn't find any positive link between Alzheimer's and dementia with aluminum in antiperspirant deodorants. I ask this because I am a natural skeptic.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Re: Hazardous metal dust?

Post by earlgo »

I doubt if you only machine aluminum on the mill or lathe you are creating much 'dust'. If you are using a belt sander, that is different. I have heard rumors of the danger of sanding aluminum and steel in the same area in such a manner that the ferrous sparks would set things on fire. I've never seen it or heard of it happening, but rumors are sometimes true.
Magnesium, however, is another story.
Good luck.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While it isn't common, you can experience an aluminum/steel fire from a belt sander, especially if there's any rust involved. Been there, done that, but of little consequence (a quick flash and it's gone). I keep my belt sander clean. That doesn't mean that it can't be worse, though.

I fully expect that any dust in one's lungs isn't a good thing, but I am not aware of a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's, although there are those who say it's true. I'm a skeptic, however.

You've not experienced a serious fire until you've seen magnesium, or aluminum/ferrous oxide (Thermite) burn .

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

We all remember the Wizard of Oz. However, the tinman in the movie was not the first person cast in the role. Buddy Ebsen started filming the movie as the tinman, but the aluminum dust they used on his skin caused him to contract emphysema and nearly die, so the role was passed to Jack Haley and refilmed. They used something like petroleum jelly for Haley, which kept the dust from being inhaled.

Later, of course, Buddy Ebsen recovered and eventually outlived his former costars. Shows ya what money can do for you. :)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Aluminium dust is highly flammable, almost explosive in large quantities. Manufacturing facilities sometimes have very sophisticated Aluminium dust collection and disposal capability to prevent ignition. But we would likely never see such volume in a hobby setting.

Years ago there was a good deal of concern about Alzheimer’s Risk from cooking with Aluminium pots and pans. Apparently this has been largely disproved. However recently some studies show a connection with the highly toxic ingepredients used to make Teflon coatings for cooking utensils. Of course the industry has completely debunked any risk. Can’t win for loosing I guess.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

One day a doctor or scientist will tell you eggs are bad for you and the next day, will tell you it's OK to eat eggs. This is a typical scenario across the board. That's why I'm a skeptic. When a doctor calls it his "practice" that means he is practicing on patients until he gets it right.....I do sand aluminum on a belt sander.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

Around here aluminum is used to build fishing boats, fish tanks , etc. The word was stay away from that industry, guys in their 30s were getting sick and dying. Weither it was the aluminum or the argon, who knows.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I think you have to differentiate between "dust' and "vapor"
It's not necessarily easy for the body to absorb dust, but very easy for the lungs to absorb vapor , directly into the blood stream where it can do major damage.
Years ago, I worked with lots of lead, both bars and heated for soldering. the only fellow employees I know who got sick later in life, were all smokers and it was pretty easy to understand with them lighting up a fag with dirty hands. One died from lead poisoning and he not only smoked, but use to put his lunch next to the hot lead pot to heat it before eating it.. No one else did that and we warned him about it. it was a shame as he was a really nice guy.

Rich
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You also have to consider particle size. Only the submicroscopic ones make it far enough down into the lungs not to get promptly flushed out. Few processes produce such particles.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't think argon can hurt you, what with it being inert. But then I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I've been exposed to Aluminum quite extensively since high school, in machining. That's most of the machining I did while going through college and quite a bit since building my own home shop. If it's bad, I'm probably doomed. Hands coated almost black with handling residue daily.

In Stephan Gotteswinter's recent youtube video, he mentioned the possible lead content in old machine paints, when sanding or preparing for refurb, etc.

I also remember machining mystery cast iron dumbbells from China and the speculation that uranium or any toxic material could have been added.

This is a very good concern to raise and to remind folks.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm I don't think argon can hurt you, what with it being inert. But then I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Air is about 1% argon.