index head

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: index head

Post by spro »

there have been hundreds these sold. Feedback is sparse while positive. You are going into it and using it. This is very good knowledge. There is a flange shim which was inside the head bag. This is the same thing which was a problem to recreate. I have it taped to the unit at this point.
spro

Post by spro »

There is a video and he is a really nice fellow and all that while swiping the base across his Bridgeport table. We would normally think that is damaging to the very platform which we inspect for perfection. I still think that but maybe his table is perfect and guy was lapping. LOL Lots of laps. The receiver slots of the head mounting bolts are at least, 9/16". So apparently didn't install the included table slot keys. I am sure he did, I had to go.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Richard_W wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:17 pm Thought you might want a link to the one I bought. Can't wait for it to arrive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BS-0-Precision ... SwRQlbA~BZ
Wow! I bought one from Enco a while back, but while it came with a back plate, it didn't come with a chuck! Foo! :(
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

How did I miss this? Only 8 left on that auction.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
spro

Post by spro »

Most of these are in California but leadmotools is in New Jersey. I received mine in three days. He appears to have five left.
spro

Post by spro »

This is one of things which can come or go. I think we will see them lightly used for much less $ But that doesn't mean they will be the same. That has happened. There was a new 5" chuck for $110.00 and it was miserable looking. These people don't know what they are selling.
I gave positive feedback to where I bought mine. Then I get messages, So sorry your package didn't arrive on time. What's with that? It is kind of funny when you leave condensed positive feedback (because there are only so many spaces) and the reply is in German. Whatever. If it is a good unit and works for you, it is a good investment at this time.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

One thing I neglected to say is this is small enough to be mounted in a 6" mill vise. So you don't always have to remove the vise to do some little part unless you need to use the tail stock center.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

My shipment arrived yesterday and initial unpacking and inspection are all favorable. The chuck jaws are tight and the head movement is smooth. I know I should take it apart and clean out any mfg residue before using. The exploded parts diagram makes it look more complicated than I was expecting.

What are the four little counter bored square blocks for?
spro

Post by spro »

Those are slot keys for your mill table. Definitely better than bearing against a bolt.
spro

Post by spro »

These key blocks are about 5/8"/17mm wide. The table slots in my old mill drill are around 9/16", so now I remember others had to modify them. I won't do that as they serve that purpose and I have others. This head /tail unit is about right for the 8 1/4" X 28 3/4" table.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Thanks, spro. And indeed they are as you said. A nice really tight fit on the DH and a loose fit on the table. I think I'd normally indicate that anyway.
spro

Post by spro »

Ctwo. Yes of course but a solid register to one side of the slot is important. There is less wiggle room. The other thing is the outer thread of the spindle and that is supposed to be 1 1/2" X 8 TPI ( which opens other possibilities of chucks and face plates which we already have). Either way, a dead accurate register at the certain side. The side which takes into account the pressure of the milling process AND doesn't want to unwind the chuck.