Thru-Hole Tap for 316 SS

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Thru-Hole Tap for 316 SS

Post by kroll »

Guys what is a good tap that will work on 316 SS and last awhile?I won’t be using it every day but when I need it want it to cut and give me the best chance at tapping a thru hole on SS plate or rod?Links to what you have would be very helpful——— Thanks
choprboy

Re: Thru-Hole Tap for 316 SS

Post by choprboy »

For one, a good quality tap is miles ahead of a general hardware store hand tap. The cutting edge should be razor sharp. I like OSG as a manufacturer.

Even better, spiral flute taps are amazing, lifting the cuttings right out of the hole as you tap. But spiral flute taps are more fragile than hand or gun (spiral point) taps, and are harder to start squarely when hand tapping. I have done a number of M12 holes in 1/4"~1" thick steel and stainless, either power tapping with the mill or hand tapping with a wrench. Stainless can get a bit grabby if you stop in the middle of tapping, but if you keep moving you can thru-tap in one shot with a spiral flute.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I would choose a OSG EXOTAP for difficult materials and SS does work harden.
You will not go wrong

Rich
kroll

Post by kroll »

Guys does this look like the correct one,at 34.00 I don't want to purchase the wrong one?
http://www.osgtool.com/Product-List-Det ... il/1738808
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

You have it !
Rich