60° v block

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

60° v block

Post by earlgo »

How would one go about making a 60° V-block for measuring the diameter of a 3 flute milling cutter? I'm thinking of something about 1" x 1" x 1" made from cast iron. I think I know how to machine it with a slitting saw, but then how is it ground smooth? Is there any other way except dressing a less than 60° angle on a grinding wheel? I am reluctant to waste that much wheel.
I am also reluctant to spend over $100 for a 60° micrometer.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
mikeehlert

Re: 60° v block

Post by mikeehlert »

Just FYI, in a previous job we/I had a 60 degree 1" mic for a particular 3 flute job. It was a Starrett thimble 0.0001" carbide faced and when worn the cost to resurface the anvils resulted in a new mic. It was a lot more than $100 though.
Currently, this $201 is the cheapest on Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-211-14 ... micrometer
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I've considered doing the same and decided the way to go would be to dress a wheel that was wide enough to make a single pass to 30 degrees.

I have a sine chuck on my grinder so I would just set the chuck to 30 degrees and all would be good.

The relief groove at the bottom of the V would give you room to keep the side of the wheel from contacting the vertical side of the V during grinding.

Of course, you them flip the block 180 and finish it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Bolt two 60 degree blocks to a base.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Yes, I considered both of those solutions, but was hoping there was some other solution I didn't think of. Oh well.
Thanks for the replies.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Please satisfy my curiosity:
Once you have a 60 degree V block how do you determine the diameter of the 3 flute tool?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I was going to use it to check roundness of of shafts, etc.

A 90 degree V block will not detect tri-lobed shafting.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

tornitore45: The attached .pdf is the way I have always done it.
V BLOCK CALCS GENERAL RULE.pdf
v-block calculations general rule
(73.69 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Feel free to correct me if I am in error.
--earlgo
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Thanks, as I suspected the specialty micrometers screws are not 40 TPI but divided by the factor M to give a direct reading.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX