CBN!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

CBN!

Post by SteveHGraham »

My new CBN grinder wheels arrived today, and I installed them and used them on a plane iron that needed to have a bevel established. Here is my report.

I bought a set of wheels from a company called Woodturner's Wonders. The coarse wheel (180) has sharp corners and straight sides with abrasive on them. The fine wheel (600) has fat radii on the corners. I have a Chinese Dayton 8" grinder that runs at 3600 RPM, and I had white wheels on it.

I had read that CBN wheels wouldn't fit inside grinder guards, but that turned out to be untrue in my case. I popped them in, attached the guards, and that was that. I didn't have to shim anything. The wheels ran true right out of the box. Maybe that would not be the case with a Harbor Freight grinder.

I'm not sure what the guards are for, given that these wheels can't blow up. Reattaching them provides me with a good place to store them, however.

The iron ground was from a Millers Falls hand plane. I found that 600 grit flew through it. It was extremely controllable, but it bit right in and got the job done. Better yet...no water. I didn't have to dip the iron to keep it from bluing. The wheel sucked up the heat. I could have kept the iron on the wheel for the whole job with no problems.

The finish was not great by woodworking standards, but I was going to finish the iron on diamond stones, so that was okay. I'm sure a 600-grit CBN wheel will give a lathe tool a nicer finish than 80-grit aluminum oxide, and you can grind on the side or corner if you want.

I don't know how long it will take to grind lathe tools on these wheels. People say 180 on a CBN wheel is like 80 on a white wheel, in terms of speed.

It was a great experience. I can't tell you whether you should look at CBN for big lathe tools, but it's utterly superior to aluminum oxide for woodworking tools, and I'm sure it will be just as good for small lathe tools.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Re: CBN!

Post by SteveM »

Can you post a link to the wheel?

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

spro

Post by spro »

That review was good Steve G. Price of admission causes others to look back. Perchance you may report how is Micheal looking toward you?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for asking about the storm. It missed me completely. We are expected to get something like 18 mph later, so it looks like this won't be another year of Augean labor with the chainsaws.
spro

Post by spro »

I am also relieved to know it passed you. Dayton machines are more expensive than similar others. Better bearings and balance, quality control and that came with a price.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The grinder is Chinese, but it looks like they made a good effort. Not as polished as the Baldor I sold.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am Thanks for asking about the storm. It missed me completely.
Very nice to hear you dodged a bullet. I suspect others may not have been so fortunate.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I feel like moving to Tennessee. Waiting for hurricanes to pass is getting old.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Before she moved out here (5 years ago), my mother lived in Mexico Beach (just E of Panama City) about a block from the beach. I've seen some aerial photos and videos of the area, and it appears their old house no longer exists. It looks almost like an undeveloped lot. Likewise for the 2 story "blue roof" beach house that we always used as a visible landmark for "home" when walking the beach. Looks like nothing was ever there. They are very glad they moved, which was in part to get away from Hurricanes. My uncle's place is about another block inland, and we don't know what happened to it yet. And my cousin's is between Mex Beach and Panama City. They are all in Tuscaloosa AL waiting for the roads to be cleared.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
JackF

Post by JackF »

Trying not to be to snide but the wind here in Caldwell is gusting to 8MPH. :P :wink: :lol: All kidding aside, wishing all here at chaski in the the panhandle are doing fine. :D

Jack.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Today I had to enlarge some holes in the dump bed of a golf cart, and I realized I needed a burr. I knew diamond was not right for steel. I finally found carbide. I wondered: why don't they make CBN burrs? They make diamond and carbide, so why not CBN?