Shop realities

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

Shop realities

Post by curtis cutter »

Have you ever noticed that no matter how big a shop is you still end up with a 10' x 10' area to actually work in?
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
John Hasler

Re: Shop realities

Post by John Hasler »

You really have that much room?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I WISH I had a 10x10 area to work in.

Sorting out all my dad's tools for sale has take up most of the floor space.

You can't move from one place to another without stepping over stuff. Several machines are not usable.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

If I were to move the table saw/worksurface, jointer, 2 toolboxes, a cutoff saw and the surface plate out into the yard would I have a 10' x 10' area to walk in. Should have bought a house with a 12 car garage....
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo writes:

If I were to move the table saw/worksurface, jointer, 2 toolboxes, a cutoff saw and the surface plate out into the yard
would I have a 10' x 10' area to walk in.

I'm about to move the table saw and the radial arm saw to the machine shed. First, though, I have to make room over there. That still won't give me a 10' x 10' open space, though. The saws have to go to free up space for the power hacksaw and the 3' x8' workbench I just built.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I come home and find a sandblasting cabinet in the middle of my shop along with all the sand etc. I ask my son about it and he says it is here "Because I do not have the space in my garage"..... :)
Gregg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have much more than 10 x 10 feet; if I move the tractor outside.
Then I try to get the work done and the shed cleared before it rains. I don't like it when my tractor gets rained on.

I don't think it matters how big a space you start out with; if you have a airplane hanger, it will just fill up after a few years.
RSG

Post by RSG »

curtis cutter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:50 pm Have you ever noticed that no matter how big a shop is you still end up with a 10' x 10' area to actually work in?
That's why my shop is only 10' x 10' :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

My dad and his partner were having a problem with not enough storage, so they bought more cabinets.

Eventually, they filled those up and bought more cabinets.

Eventually, they filled those up...

Then my dad's partner came to the conclusion that they were going to fill up whatever space they had, and the thing to do was to GET RID of cabinets.

Hence was born "Ginsberg's Law':
S&%t fills space available.

Steve
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

RSG wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 am
curtis cutter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:50 pm Have you ever noticed that no matter how big a shop is you still end up with a 10' x 10' area to actually work in?
That's why my shop is only 10' x 10' :lol:
Perfect. :)
Gregg
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Man, this is depressing to read.

I moved to a place where I have 1500 square feet, more or less. Right now, it's not easy to walk around in the main workshop. I have to keep two tractors in there, plus I have been really lazy about organizing the space.

Yesterday I finally got an electrician to give me an estimate for adding 100 amps of 220 service to the workshop. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I am dreading the news. They have to run 120 feet of new wire from the house to the shop, underground. The original conduit (with wiring suitable for 50 amps) is large enough for the new wires, but we can't find the place where it enters the house. Why anyone would build a beautiful shed and limit it to 50 amps is a mystery.

They told me digging a new trench would be expensive. I am hoping to do it myself with a tractor and subsoiler, but I think the subsoiler will only get me down to 18", which is 6" above code. That means I have to risk going without permits or inspections or get out there and dig.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am Man, this is depressing to read.

I moved to a place where I have 1500 square feet, more or less. Right now, it's not easy to walk around in the main workshop. I have to keep two tractors in there, plus I have been really lazy about organizing the space.

Yesterday I finally got an electrician to give me an estimate for adding 100 amps of 220 service to the workshop. He hasn't gotten back to me yet. I am dreading the news. They have to run 120 feet of new wire from the house to the shop, underground. The original conduit (with wiring suitable for 50 amps) is large enough for the new wires, but we can't find the place where it enters the house. Why anyone would build a beautiful shed and limit it to 50 amps is a mystery.

They told me digging a new trench would be expensive. I am hoping to do it myself with a tractor and subsoiler, but I think the subsoiler will only get me down to 18", which is 6" above code. That means I have to risk going without permits or inspections or get out there and dig.
I would dig the ditch and put the power in a conduit and put a second or third conduit in the trench as well for future needs. I was glad I did as I can now link directly to my modem and router hard wire and use an intercom system to the house. Think about running a smoke alarm as well in the shop tied to an alarm in the house.
Gregg