Great service

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Great service

Post by Mr Ron »

While one may complain about prices, delivery time and service, I cannot find a way to fault McMaster Carr. I ordered an air compressor regulator on Wednesday and it was sitting outside my door on Thursday. Call that service or what; all the way from Georgia to Mississippi in one day. They are my favorite go to place for anything. I may have to pay a little more, but their service is impeccable. They are a big company, but they treat the small guy the same as a big company.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
neanderman

Re: Great service

Post by neanderman »

And, if they don't got it, you don't need it!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I am in accord with you on that. I have been a fan
McMaster-Carr for a long time (about 30 years).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Amen to that !
I order so often from them that I get the McMaster big yellow book.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You fellows would be happy to live within 10 miles of a McM-C warehouse as I do. When you place an internet order, immediately you get back a response that it can be picked up in 1 hour. 99% of the time they have the item(s) available. If not, it is there the next day. The counter person always greets you with a smile and responds with cheer. I am treated, as a hobbyist, the same way I was when I picked up items for GE.
Other businesses could use McM-C as a business model.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

They sound like Chick-fil-A.

I always liked Enco's service, and I had the same good experiences with MSC, but MSC's marketing is so weird, I just don't use them.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Not to mention the absolute best web search and part location. No guessing, item are found as a multitude of names, narrow down by all possible parameters. Don't you like when you search for "ball bearing" and you get 40,793 choices of ball bearings, beach balls, ball hex wrenches, tooling balls, drawer slides, casters etc.

Once they shipped an order and then sent an email saying the CC was rejected.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Glad to hear (read) the positive responses. I have no connection with MCC, but I like to support companies that provide great support to their customers, both small and large.
jcfx » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am
Amen to that !
I order so often from them that I get the McMaster big yellow book.
WoW, you must be a big customer. The last big yellow book I got was book 102 and that was through my employer.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I get the big yellow book too. I use them a lot with my business.
When companies ask how to design a website to sell their product, I tell them to look at McMaster and learn.

Jim B
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

tornitore45 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am Not to mention the absolute best web search and part location. No guessing, item are found as a multitude of names, narrow down by all possible parameters. Don't you like when you search for "ball bearing" and you get 40,793 choices of ball bearings, beach balls, ball hex wrenches, tooling balls, drawer slides, casters etc.
McMaster by far has the best search engine I have seen from any supplier. The transition from catalog to digital is an example for all others, one that the soon to be late Sears & Roebuck should have emulated. Wish the Amazonians would take note too.
Prices....meh....not so great. Service....better than great. Inventory....also better than great. Times are seldom when they don't have stock. Also, I haven't received any cheap junk from them.
And if you do have a problem with an order....the fix it right now.

I'm still happy with MSC. Helps that they are close, but their service is like Enco's. Should be. Same company and Enco & MSC work out of the same building in Fernley.
I made an order on Monday in the late afternoon. When I got done, I noticed I forgot a 9/64" end mill I needed. I popped on the live chat, within 10 minutes of ordering, and asked to add the end mill to my order.
She told me it was too late, the order had already shipped, but she would be happy to do an additional an additional order. I told her I didn't want to pay freight which would no doubt cost more than the end mill.....that would be foolish. She told me no problem, they would ship it freight free like the other order.
How's that for service? I sure can't complain!
I got all my stuff , in two boxes, the next day.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
chief

Post by chief »

There's one more great thing with MCM for any of you who use CAD software. You can import parts from their online catalog directly into the software. I do it with Fusion 360, but I suspect they have the same arrangement with other software companies.
Terry
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Chief is correct. I use their CAD models all the time with Solid Works, and did especially when I was in the galley slave world. My drawings all reflected the McM-C number so there was no mistake as to which fastener to use. The shops liked it for the same reason.
The various formats McM-C supplies work with :
3-D Models
3-D EDRW
3-D IGES
3-D PDF
3-D SAT
3-D Solidworks
3-D STEP
Technical Drawings
2-D DWG
2-D DXF
2-D PDF
2-D Solidworks
Who could ask for better support.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.