silly question about movie steam locomotives

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chucketn

silly question about movie steam locomotives

Post by chucketn »

I get my interest in steam loco's from having a Grandfather that worked on the Erie Lackawanna RR for 50 years. I barely remember seeing steam locos running at the old roundhouse in Scranton, PA in the 50's.
I am also a fan of old western movies and tv shows. I often see what appears to be real steam locomotives in these movies and shows. I understand what 'engine bark' is when a steam loco is working hard or accelerating, but what is making the 'chuff" noise when it's sitting still under steam? Is this the sound of a boiler feed pump or some other steam powered engine accessory? Reminds me of the air dryer on big trucks.
NP317

Re: silly question about movie steam locomotives

Post by NP317 »

That "breathing" sound from a stationary locomotive is usually from the steam-powered air compressor(s).
It automatically starts and stops to keep the air reservoirs up to operating pressure.
They often slowly cycle, too, based on the pressure regulating valves.
Certainly a ubiquitous sound for The Beasts!
~RN
WJH

Post by WJH »

Had a cab ride in one, not only did that air compressor make that noise, it also shooked the entire locomotive on each stroke. A very strong tactile experience to go along with the sounds, sights, and smells that make these things so interesting.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I didn't know they had air compressors; what was the compressed air used for?
Brakes?
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Thanks for the responses... I know Grampa is smiling down at me. I didn't get to ask many steam questions when he was here, but boy have I got a list when we meet again!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm I didn't know they had air compressors; what was the compressed air used for?
Brakes?
Air brakes.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 am
liveaboard wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:15 pm I didn't know they had air compressors; what was the compressed air used for?
Brakes?
Air brakes.
Also used for the sanders, post-1900-ish.
And bell ringers.
And for the grease guns for the brick rod grease.
~RN
rudd

Post by rudd »

That got me to doing some remembering/research - though Westinghouse invented the system in 1868 or 69, depending on sources, and the Pennsy was an early adopter, they didn't become mandatory until 1900 under the RR Appliance Safety Act of 1893. (I recall George W had done some lobbying, purely looking out for the safety of the general public of course. cough.. cough.) So probably many of those locomotives would have not had air brakes at the time depicted, but the movie folks aren't going to get away from having them now, unless the RR isn't a common carrier.
Fer instance, Argent Lumber operated in SC and Georgia until 1963 with link and pin couplers (also outlawed in the Act of 1893) and steam brakes on the locomotive only. So an interstate RR, but not a common carrier. A very uncommon one in fact.