Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Shop Build (help appreciated!)

Post by liveaboard »

That should do the trick.
You sure get stuff cheap in the US, I think that would cost 3x more here.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I wonder if the link above might be contaminated with a virus. I clicked on it and within 5 or 10 minutes started getting adds for generators embedded in every web page I addressed. I've also started to get adds that ask me if I need a machine shop. I fully understand that there are multiple ways to track what I look at and thereby feed my search information to advertisers that pay for it and I'm very suspicious that Microsoft's Edge program that came installed on the new computer could very well be the culprit the very tight temporal correlation between using the generator link above and the deluge of embedded adds about generators does make me suspicious. No criticism of Seal Killer intended.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

TomB--

Not a virus . . . push ads. They might as well be viruses.

If I can still edit the post, I'll delete the link and just mention what I ordered.

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

TomB--

I could not edit it. Too much time has passed, I suppose. I DID report it and asked that it be disabled. Like you, I hate those things.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

To cure my recurrent power problem, I ordered a 22KW Generac water cooled unit along with their switch. You can go to their site if you want push ads to populate your life. Not fun. And, I apologize for posting their link previously. I asked for my post to be removed and it was.

--Bill
You are what you write.
pete

Post by pete »

I clicked on your link when it was still up Bill and have had no issues. My ad blocker is probably taking care of any push ads etc.
spro

Post by spro »

My Gateway is old but has Google Chrome. Chrome holds a lot of past links, as does Ebay. Yahoo works together with this. One way or another they are using the screen space. My Kaspersky told me it was "unprocessed objects which could be used by criminals" but their scan says it is not a virus.
spro

Post by spro »

I've just come back to "log Off" since my laptop totally shut down after the last post.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

An update . . .

I believe I have written that the shop and laundry and bath and hallway are framed in and wired. My little brother and I installed the 2x10 ceiling joists on 16" centers. They span 17'6". There is an opening for an 8' wide garage door in the long wall running parallel to the drive-through bay. The joists on either side of that door are tripled.

Next we built a strong-back above the joists. We constructed it from tripled 2x10s. It is 30' long and glued and screwed together with overlapping joints. Very solid.

The strong-back was then glued and screwed to the joists.

The ceiling is 7/16" OSB and is above the joists such that you can see the joists from inside the shop. The OSB on the ceiling and walls is screwed in place.

The exterior of the shop was also covered with 7/16" OSB and then 2" of closed cell foam was applied on it plus the 20' of both ends of the garage that form the ends of the shop/laundry/bath/hallway.

The ceiling decking forms a nice "floor" for walking above the shop and below the garage roof. I filled all the cracks in the ceiling decking using less than two cans of Big Crack. Neat stuff.

Today my electrician installed lighting in the shop. I used ninety watt, 8' LED strip lighting. The shop is basically 26'l x 20'w. There are three rows of three strip lights, placed equidistant from each other and the walls, running the length of the shop and a tenth one in an indented area of the shop which will be the home for the shop sink.

It's A LOT of light. I like it.

The next phase of this project will be applying fiberglass insulation over the closed cell foam. In turn, that will be covered with 7/16" OSB. That OSB will be the interior walls of the shop. Those walls should be sturdy with OSB on the outside, closed cell foam and OSB on the inside.

Above the ceiling will get R-30 fiberglass insulation. I may put down two layers of it.

That's a pretty good synopsis of where the shop build is, currently. Now, on to . . .

Today's Adventure!

The acreage is heavily treed. I have a 22' flatbed trailer that I use to haul my skid steer and tractor around and to carry building materials. It gets used fairly often.

I only have two places to turn it around. One is better than the other but there are two ancient stumps alongside the path that I have to dodge while backing up and turning the trailer 90*. Doable, but I have to really time everything just right to miss the stumps or there is a lot of backing and filling to do.

I finally had enough of that and decided to take those stumps out. I chose to work on the the really ancient one first. It was only about 8" high and very rotten. My plan was to simply scrape the top off level with the ground and call it good.

Bad plan.

It was rotten for only about three inches. Then it wasn't. I dug a little bit and quickly saw that the tree that used to be there had been almost two feet in diameter. So I dug some more. And some more. And more.

A job I thought would take half an hour saw me digging two hours (or more) later. When I finally broke all the crazy-angled roots off and dug deep enough so I could grab it with the hoe and rock it without the ground supporting it, it broke loose. The root ball was very large. Usually I use the Komatsu (skid steer) to haul them away. This time I grabbed it with the hoe. It was all I could do to lift it.

I hauled it to the root ball grave yard which is well out of sight from everything.

The second one was easier. Took me maybe an hour.

Fun!

--Bill
You are what you write.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Pictures.....we need more pictures Bill :)
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RSG—

Will do!

Happy Memorial Day!

—Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

RSG and All--

Per RSG's request, here's the latest shop build video . . .

https://youtu.be/VAzgECNnl3E

--Bill
You are what you write.