Latest metrology find

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Latest metrology find

Post by SteveM »

At a local store that sells a lot of things like industrial stuff, architectural pieces and like, I spotted on of those calibration gizmos that are used for calibrating mics and calipers from 0-12".
Mikemaster112.jpg
Seems it had been in the store for a while, so the owner was willing to sell it for $50. Most of them on ebay are priced higher (some not in as good condition) and then you have to pay for shipping.

The calibration sticker on it showed that it was still in its calibration window. The pieces of paper taped to the bars are the actual measurements from the last calibration. Most sections are between 0 and a few tenths over, although the 12 is 0.001 over.

I figure it could be off a bit, but it has no indication of wear, so if it's off, it's not by much.

My larger mics only measure to a thou, so if it's off by a tenth, that's still useful.

I tested my 0-6" Mitu electronic calipers on it and it was spot on for each size.

I may compare some of the smaller sizes to my gauge blocks.

Steve
pete

Re: Latest metrology find

Post by pete »

Nice score. Since it would be much more accurate than any pair of calipers then you actualy verified your calipers are spot on. :mrgreen: