Need help using alumalloy. Never used it before.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

shild

Need help using alumalloy. Never used it before.

Post by shild »

I got some of those alumalloy rods to try to join a couple pieces of aluminum. Not having much luck. First tried a propane torch, then tried a map gas torch, then tried putting pieces of concrete on top of what I was trying to join to retain the heat better. The Alumalloy rod is bending from the torch but won't melt along the joint I need it to.[image
IMG_1442.JPG
][/img]
shild

Re: Need help using alumalloy. Never used it before.

Post by shild »

Incase anyone is wondering, yes that is an upside down Barbie scooter I'm trying to recycle into something else. Maybe it's acting too much like a heatsink?
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Is that an anodized finish you trying to work on??
shild

Post by shild »

DavidF wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 pm Is that an anodized finish you trying to work on??
Yes but I scraped it off around area I'm trying to join.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

You might want to try putting the part on a hot plate and heating the entire thing up. Thick sections can be difficult
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

You need to constantly brush with the SS wire brush. The exposed aluminum pieces oxidize immediately so while you have the molten puddle of rod material you scrub through it to get the bond while it’s shielded from the atmosphere. Once the rod has some purchase it sticks to itself pretty well and you can get some build up.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Let the heat from the part melt the metal, not the flame from the torch. Sort of like lead soldering.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Are you saying you can't melt the welding rod with the torch you have?
Also, have you ever seen a butane lighter explode? It's pretty dramatic. You might want to get that away from the work area.