Craigslist freebie - Service Drill Pointer

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Craigslist freebie - Service Drill Pointer

Post by SteveM »

Picked up this drill grinder from someone cleaning out the garage prior to moving.
sharpener.jpg
Service is the name of the company (Service R&D, actually).

It looks like the company is no longer in business, but current models of the product are being sold by Service Precision Grinding, Inc.
http://www.drill-grinder.com

Downloaded the instructions; still trying to decipher them.

This one is the model DG73. Current models are $1,200 and up.

Has an interesting chuck to hold the drills:

Now I just have to figure what to do with it.

I had originally got it figuring I could attach a table to it to make a tool bit grinder, but I'm going to see how it does drills.

Steve
John Evans

Re: Craigslist freebie - Service Drill Pointer

Post by John Evans »

I have the current model 80 and it does a wonderful job sharpening bits. Does all angles but can not split point so you can't take much off sharpening a 135* split point before you loose the split. Does do web thinning though. Just for grins I sharpened a 1/16 bit , cuts really well ! Just did a hand full the other day that came my way. Lucky guy !!
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've also got an SRD/TRD 80 (I think I got that right). They are still in business, and have downloadable manuals.

And like John, I love it. I'm never short on sharp drills. And the multi-facet (aka web thinning in their terminology) points work exceedingly well, particularly in larger drills.

They do make a drill splitting option, but I've not found one available. Probably cost more than I would pay anyway. They also make one for larger drills, and several more advanced models too. I see the larger model once in a while, but the high end versions, I've never seen in person.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

I believe the name became Hercules or anyway they were special type grinders. There are a series of racks which mount to the grinder. They are somewhat free hand but suspend the drill at any angle. To know them requires reading their manual. Steve's pics show the remarkable fixture to hold straight shank drills and holding unworn areas as guide.