The Cheap Tool guy got me...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

The Cheap Tool guy got me...

Post by AllenH59 »

I bought a chinese keyless chuck for the milling machine, and it came with a R8 adaptor. Well, they got me.. This is the first R8 adaptor that I have seen that had 7/16" NC threads... I am making a draw bar for it, as it is less work than sending it back. This drawbar will last for ever, as I doubt I will ever buy another one with course threads.
Bill Shields

Re: The Cheap Tool guy got me...

Post by Bill Shields »

sure it isn't METRIC???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

they may be 12x1.75... come to think of it.. a 7/16 NC tap went in but was a bit loose... I did the math.. that is 1.81 mm pitch.. I will try a 12 mm bolt..

thanks.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I know the feeling. I bought a R8 shell mill holder from Shars, after all it was cheap. Yaa, it wouldn't fit far enough into the quill for the drawbar to
catch it. I wound up buying a holder from McMaster Carr and that one worked. I can live with the .020" wobble in the cheap face mill.

Jim B
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I took a couple hours and made a drawbar. This was just so I could grab small drill bits.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Many sellers state which thread is used. Don't buy from those who don't.
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

rrnut-2 wrote:I know the feeling. I bought a R8 shell mill holder from Shars, after all it was cheap.

Jim B
Try out Maritool: same price as Shars, and Frank works right here in the US. Just got the 90 deg and the 45 face mill from him; they work great.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Maritool's prices are at least four times those of Shars for anything I'd want. The Shars stuff I've purchased has all worked ok.

On the other hand, I made the mistake of buying a "Hanson"[1] 3/8 NPT tap at Fleet-Farm the other day (I needed it *now* and assumed it would work at least once). The teeth *rounded off* in mild steel. I've ordered a replacement (in HSS) from Shars for about what I paid for that Hanson tap, which is evidently made of bubblegum that wasn't left on the bedpost long enough.

[1] "Hanson" is really Irwin which is really Newell Brands, which of course just buys stuff from the lowest bidder in Shenzen and has it private labeled with one of their many brand names.
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

John Hasler wrote:Maritool's prices are at least four times those of Shars for anything I'd want. The Shars stuff I've purchased has all worked ok.
I’m just curious what it is you use? I’ve compared holders, endmills, drill chucks, even the NPT tap you just mentioned, and they’re all comparable.

Don’t take me wrong here, I’m not trying to argue. I’m looking for the same deals everyone else is, especially if it’s 4 times cheaper, but I just don’t see it where I’m looking.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Looks like the tap is actually only about two and a half times the price.

https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-Tools- ... _info.html

https://www.shars.com/catalogsearch/res ... &q=npt+tap

Maritool's carbide end mills are about five times as expensive as hss from Shars. I can't afford carbide. Maritool has no collets or toolholders I'd have use for. I'm in the market fo some slotting saws, but Maritool seems to have none (they'd be carbide anyway).
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Ok, I see that now. I work pretty much exclusively with carbide, so I wasn’t comparing to HSS which makes sense in your case.

And yea, their slit saws are a bit pricy. Seems they have both HSS and carbide.

https://www.maritool.com/Cutting-Tools ... index.html
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 amOn the other hand, I made the mistake of buying a "Hanson"[1] 3/8 NPT tap at Fleet-Farm the other day (I needed it *now* and assumed it would work at least once). The teeth *rounded off* in mild steel. I've ordered a replacement (in HSS) from Shars for about what I paid for that Hanson tap, which is evidently made of bubblegum that wasn't left on the bedpost long enough.

[1] "Hanson" is really Irwin which is really Newell Brands, which of course just buys stuff from the lowest bidder in Shenzen and has it private labeled with one of their many brand names.
Ugh, I just got bitten by that same bug. Last weekend I broke a some teeth on Butterfield 1/2 NPT making a new hard line turbo oil drain to snake around obstructions, and needed to tap the end for a nipple. I knew it was getting dull, but didn't take the time to hand sharpen, and that cost me a tap. Went to replace it with like, and nearly needed a nitro tablet to get up off the floor. Saw a Handon for a much more agreeable price, thought I recalled that those were good. Being a pipe taper, that's a hard running tap to start with, but this brand new tap went in only a bit further before it bound up hard, and back-forth wasn't doing much at all. Removed it from the tube, and you could see shiny rounded edges on every tooth that had been "cutting". Garbage...

Well, I finally got enough threads to seat the nipple about half way before it didn't want to go further and went forward with the install. Loctite 592 to the rescue...

Got to order that return today. No idea where to get an affordable 1/2" NPT tap, but will be looking for something besides Hanson.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper