Clockwise Anti - Clockwise To Undo Machine Spindle Nuts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Clockwise Anti - Clockwise To Undo Machine Spindle Nuts

Post by whateg0 »

Are you sure of the direction of threads? It looks like you should be able to see the last thread slightly exposed. It doesn't look badly corroded, so I wouldn't think the threads would be rusty. If unsure, certainly give it a go in the other direction and see if it doesn't start to move.

Dave
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pollys1dad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am " if you put your point of view as looking up at the nut,"
Yes looking up at the nut, the socket on the ratchet is set to turn anti clockwise, moving the ratchet handle in the direction of the arrow does this.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are moving the wrench to the right, and the socket is facing up, then you are turning the fastener clockwise.

is the socket facing up or down?

Steve
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

SteveM wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm
pollys1dad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:19 am " if you put your point of view as looking up at the nut,"
Yes looking up at the nut, the socket on the ratchet is set to turn anti clockwise, moving the ratchet handle in the direction of the arrow does this.
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you are moving the wrench to the right, and the socket is facing up, then you are turning the fastener clockwise.

is the socket facing up or down?

Steve
Socket is facing up.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

The top head nut, anti clockwise to loosen as I said I'm having trouble with this. I've put a half scaffold pole as a lever over the socket handle, the nut won't budge.
Since I tried with the scaffold pole I've been told, " NEVER put a scaffold pole on a ratchet, especially when working on machines. You’re going to snap, bend or weaken the spindle shaft by doing that. "
Also, " You need to loosen it off the same direction the head spins while it is running. "

I tried that without the scaffold pole as a lever won't budge anyone any ideas how I can get the nut undone? As the head is inverted I can't get any releasing fluid on it. If try to squirt some in from the top I don't know if would work its way down to the nut and could get the oil on the belt.
It might be I was trying to turn the nut the wrong way so even tighter.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

These 'point of view' discussions are often difficult. The way I see it is: If the nuts are opposite hand and facing in opposite directions, the loosening direction (from the same point of view) is the same. If moving the handle to the left, giving the bottom nut a clockwise motion as viewed from the top, loosens that nut, that is a LH thread. Flipping the socket over to the top nut and moving the handle in the same direction, clockwise from the top, results in a counterclockwise motion viewed from below. That counterclockwise motion from below will loosen a RH thread nut. Imagine lying on the floor looking up at the shaft to get a better visualization. In other words, pull the handle in the same direction to loosen both nuts, which should be to the left and not in the direction shown by the red arrow in the photo. This should be the same direction the spindles turn in operation.

Careful use of punch and hammer often loosens tight nuts but you need to be sure you are forcing it in the right direction. It can also be hard on precision bearings.
Don Young
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Thanks but have got both nuts undone now.