Machine tapping PVC sheet with small blind holes

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Inspector

Re: Machine tapping PVC sheet with small blind holes

Post by Inspector »

My use of PVC (water/sewer pipe) is limited to a few pens. Cooking spray seemed to work as good as anything else I had when treading and cleans up easily.

Pete
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

Cooking spray! Who'da thunked? I'll give it a go and thanks.

Dave
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I use Blaser Synergy 735 flood coolant for plastics and composites, it's oil free and Ph7.
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

The project is done and the results are in. The winning solution, in my case, is a spiral flute tap as suggested by Harold and the hands down winner on cutting oil is.......drum roll here........cooking spray as suggested by Inspector! I resisted the cooking spray as just too far "out there" until I'd exhausted the other alternative cutting oils that I had on hand. I did try wax, Transultex & Accu-lube. I didn't try the suggested Blaser Synergy 735 due to cost. The cooking spray never failed to produce a very nice thread. Again who'da thunked? I used Costco Kirkland spray. Cheap, my favorite price right next to free.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I will not hesitate to ask for advise in the future should I get "up against it".

Dave
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Pete
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In the interest of fairness, it was Russ Hanscom who first mentioned the use of spiral flute taps. I just agreed, having an understanding of why.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

You're right, Harold. I'd forgotten the original source of the spiral flute suggestion. Thanks to Russ for that!

Dave