Bandsaw blade bevel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Bandsaw blade bevel

Post by liveaboard »

He was a great machinist since I was as high as his knee. He told me recently that he dreaded dying and leaving his accumulated material and tools for his widow to deal with; but that's what happened.
He said he wanted to give me all his stuff; but he was in the US and I'm in Europe. Anyway, I really appreciated the sentiment.
He died very suddenly. I had an email just a day before. Good for him I guess, but shocking for his wife and friends.
There is an Aladdin's cave of machine tools in a large shed in NH.
Really quite large.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:P Harold...i was talking about a gauge to measure full size RR track as being a bit large for a slitting saw.....

the point i was making to all is that if you EVER see a band saw welder show up in any kind of a sale...grab it!

that is...if you have a band saw.... :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 amthat is...if you have a band saw.... :shock:
If you see one and you DON'T have a bandsaw, grab it anyway.

You're going to find a bandsaw to go with your welder a lot easier than finding a welder to go with your bandsaw.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

tru nufff!!!!

but 2 weeks after you purchase a 'random welder'....you will probably get a good buy on a bandsaw that already HAS a welder...giggle
spro

Post by spro »

Not exactly. The great old welders were attached to great old bandsaws. The huge saws were, let's say, incompatible with any means to transport or even store. Somewhere, somehow somebody detached the welder unit. These units have variable settings for blade width along with internal mechanical movements. The springs were calibrated to the reostat in some cases. Lost art of bone dry analog engineering.
A decent blade welder is wise investment.
spro

Post by spro »

I hear you, Bill ! Mr Shields ! Stuff works that way but One machine or One blade welder is when you really get to know it.
spro

Post by spro »

Again we have wandered from the original post. It was a good road to explore, yet Steve's work shines. I will bet that all the teeth are dull before it breaks at that joint.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 am :P Harold...i was talking about a gauge to measure full size RR track as being a bit large for a slitting saw.....
It's not nice of you to shift gears on this old guy, who struggles to keep a line of thought! :lol:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i have often been accused of being shifty, side-tracked, one-tracked and even off-track on an hourly basis by the same group.

comes with the territory.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Another way to make a gauge is to make from two pieces of metal clamped together with a couple screws, machine a step in one piece and fasten a flat sided piece against it.

Rob
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Rob. That's an easy way to achieve the end result.
It's hard to judge a blade's ability to run without binding without having some kind of gauge. Binding the blade in the cut isn't the way to learn that it isn't properly relieved.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.