marking tools

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

marking tools

Post by SteveM »

I'm going to give the stage manager at the local youth theater company a toolbox just for him (and his successors).

The toobox will be stenciled "Stage Manager Only!" and have a lock hasp on it so that he can put his own lock on it. I'll also give him a cable so that he can lock it to make it harder for the box to walk away.

I'd like to mark the tools, but not with an engraver. What I'm looking for is a way to make the tool visible from far away so that he can see someone else using his pliers and say "Hey, put that back in my toolbox".

I don't think that the dipped handle grip will work because there will be all sorts of tools you can't do that do (think Allen wrenches).

Colored tape could be removed (we would both be looking to prevent people from borrowing as well as stealing).

Paint might work, but I'd have to be sure to mask off the working surfaces. It would have to stick well, so he doesn't have paint chips coming off all the time.

It will be a lot of individual pieces, so I don't want anything that will take 10 minutes per tool.

Any ideas?

Steve
earlgo

Re: marking tools

Post by earlgo »

Buy HF tools and no-one will steal them.
Or, buy a HF tool box and put good tools in it.
Or, just realize that tools will walk and buy extra.
JMHO. Remember. what belongs to everyone, belongs to no-one.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm Buy HF tools and no-one will steal them.
Other than the stage manager and a handful of the kids on the production crew, most of these kids wouldn't know the difference between Harbor Freight and Snap-on, so they are all going to be targets.

Most of the tools will be good quality stuff I pick up at garage sales with the express purpose of giving them away. I can pick up decent used Craftsman, Stanley, Crescent and other brands for less than HF stuff. I just keep it all in a bin until someone needs one.
earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm Remember. what belongs to everyone, belongs to no-one.
Tragedy of the commons.

Steve
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

This is probably not going to take 10 min per tool - anodizing or black oxide treat a band on the tools.
Maybe gun bluing ? None of the suggestions are going to be high visibility.

As earlgo said, "just realize the tools will walk", especially in a student environment.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

long story, revolving around a guy who had the same problem....tools always walking off...

One morning, during the group tool inspection, where ALL TOOLS are out for everyone to see...and everyone in the crew was there...

in plain sight of everyone...he urinated on everything... :shock:

NOBODY EVERY touched his tools again :D

crude but effective...'marking' of tools
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

You are asking the impossible. Short of equipping each tool with an electronic tracking device how can you tell from 50 feet what is in one hand or in one's pocket. Manufacturing has not resolved employees pilfering despite larger means and severe penalties.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm Buy HF tools and no-one will steal them.
Or, just realize that tools will walk and buy extra.
JMHO. Remember. what belongs to everyone, belongs to no-one.
--earlgo
When I was into rock crawling buggies, this was the way I went. In that scenario, when a buggy breaks, there is no AAA or any other options, and you NEVER leave a person or rig behind. So it's all hands on deck to repair broken axles or whatever ails one of your crew. The corollary is that you become pretty picky about who you roll with (often condemned as elitist) if you don't want to spend most of your day working on some fool's rig that loudly proclaims "I'm not taking the bypass, I don't care about damage!"

Anyway, whether it's skills, tools, or parts, everyone pitches in. Most of the guys were good guys, but I caught a couple of "accidental" tool takes from both driver/owners, and their guest riders and followers (park at trail head and walk along to watch). So I bought a trail bag full of basic HF hand tools and painted them bright orange (my buggy primary color, Chevy Engine Orange). Then I could tell what was mine at a glance when gathering/reclaiming tools. And the incentive to take was lower, plus if it disappeared it was only a minor annoyance. Heck, I've even welded my tools into buggies as reinforcement to get a broken rig off the trails, so it's not the end of the world. Other things you don't want HF (like picks, I bought orange handle Snap On) or simply not an option (like hub sockets). Some have to get creative to paint mark, like removing polished chrome over a sufficient area, but they all got that garish color to make life easier, and help avoid conflicts ("Are you SURE you put that back, 'cause it's not there now...") It might not stop someone from concealing and taking, but a casual look in someone's box/bag might turn one up, or in this scenario maybe see them using it later since it's very easy to spot. Worked for me.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pmBuy HF tools and no-one will steal them.
Reminds me of the old advice about the safest place to store a violin is in a banjo case.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

When I was working around other contractors, they left all kinds of tools, ladders and things at the job site. I was too much to drag everything back in so yes, there was security. Issues did arise as one company was borrowing another's ladders. This went often and flourescent ( can't spell or type) orange was an early way but they became more creative. There would be black or purple sprayed on the side with a spray of yellow band in the middle.This was a definitive brand to a certain company's employees and they could spot that in a second. The security cameras could spot it too.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm
earlgo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pmBuy HF tools and no-one will steal them.
Reminds me of the old advice about the safest place to store a violin is in a banjo case.
As a retired violinist I must correct that statement.
Use a viola case.
~RN
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 pm in plain sight of everyone...he urinated on everything... :shock:
NOBODY EVERY touched his tools again :D
crude but effective...'marking' of tools
My dog marks things the same way.

Steve
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Lay the tools (all) on a cardboard . Place them parallel , like rungs on a ladder.
Now lay cardboard (2) on each side covering all but 2 Inches of the center of each tool
Spray the opening with Orange lacquer paint .
Lacquer is hard, and dries fast . Do next batch. Very fast method with minimal handling
You don't need to do the underside as 3/4 coverage is usually enough

Rich