PRIVATE MESSAGE FEATURE

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

PRIVATE MESSAGE FEATURE

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
The issue of Private Messages appears to need to be addressed. Administration receives inquiries on a regular basis, asking why messages they have sent remain in their outbox.

It may not be apparent to many how the system works, and all too many are not checking to see if they have one or more waiting, or they are simply being ignored. For that reason I'd like to refresh memories and suggest that readers pay a little more attention to them.

I'll start with how the system works.

When a readers sends a private message, once the send button is hit, the message moves to the sender's outbox, where it will remain until it is opened by the recipient. At that time it will then show on the sender's end as having been sent. It will remain in the outbox until that time, and the only way for it to be removed is to be opened by the recipient (which is how the sender knows it has been received), or to be deleted by the sender.

Board display type will likely make a difference in what reader's see when a PM is sent to them. My personal choice is Allan Style - SUBSILVER. With this choice, beneath the Search bar, which is found at the top right corner of the screen, there is a Notifications line, which will have a random number within a red mark. To the right of that mark appears the words Private messages, which will also display a red mark when messages are waiting. Within the red mark will be a number describing the number of messages.

In addition to the above, the board automatically sends out notice of private messages having been sent. These notices are sent via the email address that was used when the reader registered with the board. For that reason, the email address should represent the one being used, and should be kept up to date. The notice received will identify the sender.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Inspector

Re: PRIVATE MESSAGE FEATURE

Post by Inspector »

Thanks Harold.

I don't PM very often but how would we know if the mailbox of the recipient is full and wasn't delivered? Does the PM stay in the outbox or get bounced back with an explanation?

Pete
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My experience (my inbox is almost always full) is that a message is received via email that there is a new PM. It most likely also shows in the red mark about which I spoke. However, when the recipient goes to read the message, it can't be downloaded because the inbox is full. The recipient then must delete one or more messages in their inbox before it can be read. Once done, one has the option of downloading the new message(s). The board will detail what must be done when that occurs. To my knowledge, the message won't be lost---it remains in the sender's sent box until it is downloaded by the recipient.

Hope this answered your question adequately.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Yes it did.
Thank you.
Pete