Vise, Vise, Baby

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Vise, Vise, Baby

Post by SteveHGraham »

It appears that my Chinese Wilton opens to 5.25". I have to say that I can't recall working on anything that wouldn't fit in there.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 am I keep thinking one day I'll get a really nice bench vise.
That's exact reason I bought my Wilton 600 and mentioned it here. It's massive and super strong so I can whack anything on it anywhere if I need or want to. Its round channel, fully sealed design keeps the screw completely enclosed, clean and lubricated, while assuring a smooth rigid travel like the quill of a heavy drill press, and jaw alignment is especially good. At a bit over ten inch full extension, everything is still in good alignment and rigid - I use it regularly as a horizontal press. The swivel locks down REALLY solid compared to the wimpy setup on light vises. There is a reason used Wilton "bullets" sell for so much in good condition

I'll close my little sales pitch with a simple challenge. Take an opportunity to interview such a vise in person - you just might get a feeling for what you'll miss out on with any of the others mentioned above. Or, you can spend a lot less for something that you can describe as "just as big," "forged steel instead of cast iron," "great value for the money," or whatever. . .
Cheers,

Frank Ford
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

There is something I envy about you. You use tools for a living, so if a vise costs you $1500, it's completely justifiable. As a hobbyist, I have to find a way to rationalize things like that, and sometimes I can't pull it off.

From where I sit with my Chinese Wilton, an 8" vise that opens to 9.5" and clamps with 10 tons of force doesn't look too bad.
spro

Post by spro »

I don't think Mr. Ford payed that much. He struck when the iron was hot. Vises of this caliber need a super strong bench to utilize their capability. My old Parker with IIRC 6 1/'2" jaw width opens wide too. I built a pedestal and locked it into concrete floor.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm just talking about the current price of a Wilton 600S, which is the one I would get.

Actually, it's not. I would want pipe jaws for all that money. Let's see...the Wilton 28828 with 6" jaws (and pipe jaws) costs a bit over $2000.00.

How can they justify charging $500 for pipe jaws?
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've found the vise I want. Yost makes a stainless steel 6" vise. It's a steal at around $2200.

http://www.yostvises.com/products/bench ... -base.html
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve,

Well for that price you could pick up two. One to use, one for a backup in case the first one breaks.

Actually I’ve seen quite a few decent vises on Craigs List. Never more than 100 bucks. Might be worth watching the on line classifieds in your area for a week or so - might save a bundle of money.

(Wish I could say the same about anvils. They must be made of rare earth metals)

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:09 pm
(Wish I could say the same about anvils. They must be made of rare earth metals)

Glenn
I've noticed the same thing. What makes them so expensive!
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Anvils are expensive because of Forged in Fire. I want one, and it looks like the best option is a Turkish Kanca anvil.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

It's a shame that Vanity Publishing is so expensive! :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I've wanted an anvil for a long time too; the trouble for me is the postage cost.
I never find anything local, except maybe mules and potatoes.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You must get great prices on port, though.