S&H charges

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: S&H charges

Post by Mr Ron »

I just got off the phone with MMC and registered my complaint over S&H charges. The guy who I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. He told me in the future to go to the bottom of the order page at the "other" instructions and request a different way to ship. Their normal procedure is to round everything up to the nearest pound and use UPS, Fedex or DHL. unless otherwise noted.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

pete wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:40 pm...........than buy from KBC here in the great white north........
Not to hijack the thread and take the spotlight off MMC Pete but see if Quality Cutting Tools and Machinery is better than KBC for you. I use them because they are local and I can drop in to pick up anything I've ordered. Don't know where in Western Canada you are so it may not be any better than what you do now.

Back to the regularly scheduled program. :)
spro

Post by spro »

Please, please read above information ! I apologize but Saskatoon is a certain name and glad to have kindred friends here.
pete

Post by pete »

I'm in SW B.C Pete so Sakatoon's a bit of a hike. However it's a contact now in my favorites, many thanks. Anything but KBC.
E189552

Post by E189552 »

I thought I could save myself shipping charges by going direct to one of my distributors, just a short drive away.
Sales rep says - NO WAY - after he enters the order everything is automated to the dock. Said about 15 min. From stock pull to ready for shipper, no where to interrupt the process.
I guess you can have it shipped quick or cheap just not both.
:roll:
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Mr Ron wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:25 am I just got off the phone with MMC and registered my complaint over S&H charges. The guy who I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. He told me in the future to go to the bottom of the order page at the "other" instructions and request a different way to ship. Their normal procedure is to round everything up to the nearest pound and use UPS, Fedex or DHL. unless otherwise noted.
So, is USPS an option there? And would it be an less expensive? I guess it could be, but their flat rate shipping is sometimes kinda high for small items.

Dave
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Today, after my complaint to MMC, I got an e-mail notifying me that the ups shipping charge was credited back into my account. That's why MMC is such a great company to buy from.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I received an e-mail saying the CC charge did not go through, AFTER receiving the order.
I called back and told them they are the only company doing that. They said "you ordered before, we know you".
MMC is a big business serving business where speed is valued more that shipping cost. They are set up to serve their base.
Like everybody I shop around, but MMC has everything and often is still the best deal.
In my book, they are an outstanding, honest and friendly place to do business. Even if shipping is not the best.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

tornitore45 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 pm I received an e-mail saying the CC charge did not go through, AFTER receiving the order.
I called back and told them they are the only company doing that. They said "you ordered before, we know you".
MMC is a big business serving business where speed is valued more that shipping cost. They are set up to serve their base.
Like everybody I shop around, but MMC has everything and often is still the best deal.
In my book, they are an outstanding, honest and friendly place to do business. Even if shipping is not the best.
The exact same thing happened to me on that last order. I had to go back and change cards.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

An update to S&H charges: I placed two orders for end mills, one on Aug 23 (Friday) and the other on Aug 26 (Monday). The order I placed on 8/23 arrived on 8/26 by UPS. The order placed on 8/26 (USPS) will arrive today 8/30.

Bottom line: If you need it in a hurry, use UPS. UPS will get it to you in one day (excluding weekends). USPS will take as long as it takes.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Further investigation on taxes levied on 3 previous orders came up with strange figures. A $3.76 charge on $45.34 came to 8.29%. A $2.10 charge on $22.67 came to 9.26% and a $1.27 charge on $9.76 came to 13%. Sales taxes charged are not the same percentage and appears to be based on the cost of the item ordered. I'm used to percentages charged as a single number like 7% or 7.5%, but what does MMC do? When ordering on line, charges can rapidly add up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Mr.Ron writes:
> Bottom line: If you need it in a hurry, use UPS. UPS will get it to you in one day (excluding weekends).

They won't get it to me in one day unless I pay through the nose for expedited service. I can do that with USPS and they will deliver on Saturday.

> USPS will take as long as it takes.

In my experience USPS is both faster and less expensive than UPS (and small items shipped UPS usually are delivered by USPS anyway). Whenever possible I use Spee-Dee Delivery, though.