A cover for a vertical milling machine?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Low Flyer

A cover for a vertical milling machine?

Post by Low Flyer »

Folks,

I recently purchased a new 9x49 milling machine and I would like to keep it looking as good as I can and prevent as much rust as possible. Right now the machine is in my garage and it is not a climate controlled area. In a few months we will be in our new house with a new 30' X 70' building and an area in that building that is climate controlled that will be my shop area. Until the new place is complete and the move is made I'd like to do as much as I can to prevent any rust.

I have removed all of the cosomoline and applied a thin coat of way oil with a latex glove. In addition to that I was thinking that perhaps a large plastic bag draped over the machine with a 60watt or 100watt light bulb inside there too would maybe remove most moisture in the air around the machine. I was thinking of a simple lamp setup on the base beneath the knee. I see that Uline has pallet covers (bags) that are 4' X 3' x 6.5'. They are a bit expensive, only $1.60 per bag but they come in a box of 100, $160.

I wouldn't mind keeping several on hand, but I don't think I'll ever need 100 of them.

Any better thoughts or alternatives?

Gil
Harold_V

Re: A cover for a vertical milling machine?

Post by Harold_V »

My personal choice is to avoid using plastic, as it is notorious for condensing in a cool environment.

You most likely won't have any rust issues if you keep the machine slightly warmer than ambient temperatures. You can do something as simple as drape the machine with an old bed sheet, then keep a small incandescent lamp lit within the "tent", ensuring that it doesn't make contact with the fabric.

Temperature swings are often the cause of rusting. If your shop is cold, then there's a sudden increase in temperature, the machine will be slow to warm, condensing water until it does. That's one of the reasons adding a small amount of heat (with an incandescent lamp) is a good idea.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Regular light bulbs do emit dry heat but I'm wary of them. They are often used in a metal chest or funked refrigerator to keep welding rods dry. I do not trust them under plastic or anything which could catch on fire.
Harold has provided more info which needs to be followed.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

You can give Boeshield T-9 anti rust/anti corrosion spray a try, since you removed the cosmoline.
McMaster sells Boeshield.
I would have left the cosmoline on till you moved it to it's final destination.
You don't have a location in your forum stats, so I'm not sure if your area has wild temp swings
but I'm with spro, a continuously lit light bulb under any material would keep me up at night wondering...
pete

Post by pete »

The plastic as Harold mentioned will sweat during temperature swings. It's one way to get enough water in the desert using it and the sun to condense water from the earth to keep you alive. Cotton or wool is what you need. Use a wire caged drop light if your nervous about a fire risk. Or it depends where you are, but with the internet they can be ordered. Get what's called a battery warmer or heater used in cold climates to keep an automotive battery from freezing. If it were me I'd just remove the mills side or rear access panel then put the light bulb inside and loosely reattach the panel to hold the power cord in place. There's nothing to burn and your then warming the whole machine.
RSG

Post by RSG »

pete wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 am If it were me I'd just remove the mills side or rear access panel then put the light bulb inside and loosely reattach the panel to hold the power cord in place. There's nothing to burn and your then warming the whole machine.
There's the ticket!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Low Flyer

Post by Low Flyer »

Thanks for each suggestion. I had considered putting the light inside the column but I wasn't sure it would do the trick. But I'll take that suggestion.

I have schedule work for the milling machine could not wait until my new house and building are complete. Besides, who could keep walking past a brand new milling machine and not want to use it?

Gil