Wilton drill press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Wilton drill press

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Dragged home a new, to me, drill press. A Wilton #28800, 3 hp, 12 speed, 4 MT. and power feed, made in Germany, expecting it to be a good upgrade. Weighs roughly 500#, now on a rolling base and in a vertical position.

Got a minimal manual and a wiring diagram. Appears to be in generally good condition except that several previous parties have messed with the electric clutch on the power feed and tapping cycle, appears that the really critical bits are there and OK but several switches and some wire is missing.

Now in the process of cleaning and checking and waiting for a 220:440 transformer to arrive since it is 440 only.

If anyone has any info on these, let me know.
DSC01257.JPG
BadDog

Re: Wilton drill press

Post by BadDog »

Congrats, nice machine. I have it's smaller weaker brother (20" VSG - US made). Mine is a real beast (relative to my needs), and is used for all my heavier drilling needs (20" Powermatic gets the higher speed lighter work). I can only imagine how nice that one would be. One of these days I would love to get a small radial, or a nice gear head with power feed.

Sorry, no help, mostly just a jealousy post. But I do recall running across docs for download online when I was searching for same on mine. No clue where it was though, that was over 5 years back (IIRC).
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper