alloy polishing.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toglhot

alloy polishing.

Post by toglhot »

I bought an XS650 a while back so I've been busy resurecting it, it was in terrible condition when I bought it, had to buy new crankcase halves. Lots of alloy to polish: I mounted both hubs on the lathe to neaten them up a little and also remove a bit of metal So far I've polished both hubs, both rims, brake fluid divider, top triple tree, fork legs, engine side covers, tappet covers, starter ends, cam chain tensioner, dipstick, carb tops and bowls. The engine needs a rebore so that's on hold for the moment.
Attachments
cover2.jpg
cover3.jpg
engine hole.jpg
engine mount.jpg
WIN_20190627_12_01_49_Pro.jpg
rear2.jpg
toglhot

Re: alloy polishing.

Post by toglhot »

Some more pics:
Attachments
rear.jpg
front.jpg
forks.jpg
rust.jpg
rust2.jpg
rust3.jpg
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

And again:
Attachments
fixed.jpg
engine3.jpg
dip.jpg
fork.jpg
start.jpg
fixed2.jpg
RSG

Post by RSG »

Looks good! Lots of work!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice.

Can you give us more details on how you did it, and what you used, including wheels and compounds?

Steve
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I did a similar job to a bike I had in the late 70's.
I didn't put anything on the metal afterwards, and it turned grey again over the next few years.

So don't make the mistake I did after all that work!

It looks great.
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Normally I would use an 8"sisal wheel with black compound to start with and smooth over the surface. Follow that with a sewn cloth wheel with white or brown compound and finish off with a loose cloth wheel and green compound.

In the case of the drums as I had to remove quite a bit of material on the lathe I smoothed down after with progressively finer wet and dry, then finished off using the above procedure.

Aluminium oxidises quickly, you can't just leave it to the elements, that's just plain silly. Most paints won't stick to polished surfaces and just about always yellow with age. After polishing I use a commercially available product like Glow to keep up the shine. About every two to three weeks does it.

To clean the aluminium as in the switch gear, I blasted them with glass beads. The damaged wires were de soldered and new ones soldered to the circuit boards.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Polished aluminum is usually protected by a clear lacquer coating. Would that hold up on a motorcycle?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

As I said, paint doesn't stick too well to smooth or polished surfaces. It also discolours with time going yellow.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

toglhot wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:45 amAfter polishing I use a commercially available product like Glow to keep up the shine. About every two to three weeks does it.
Can you provide a link to that product?

When I search, all I get is nail polish and Orange Glow floor polish.

Steve
toglhot

Post by toglhot »

Just search for an alloy polish. What's available here may not be available where you are. Most motorcycle outlets have alloy polish on the counter, if not, just ask them for their recommendations.

Keep in mind any water stains, oxide discolouration and so on will not polish out with such a product, only buffing wheels and compound or fine wet and dry will. Buffing wheels can also be mounted in a drill so you can polish the cover in situ.
Patio

Post by Patio »

That is a lot of work you have done, so far!
My first bike was a XS650. I may even have a set of decals for that bike. I have a 74 Ironhead that I smoothed and polished, on a 6" bench grinder. Shaved the lowers with a belt sander before polishing them too. When I first bought the Ironhead, it as a ride it and put it away wet type of bike, not real pretty. Once is was all prettied up, I kind of hated to take it out in the rain at all, because I knew that I would have a lot of work cleaning it, after the ride. It is in pieces right now, and is the last of my bikes I have yet to get back together, to a running condition.
Looks like your making a chopper!?
I own, 1 rode bike (daily rider), 2 mini bikes, and 2 choppers. :)
Good luck on your project, I will be watching with interest.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!