Fan Boy

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Fan Boy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:02 pm
Contrary to what you might think, a small shop won't required all that much in the way of air conditioning capacity to be comfortable.
You left some things out, unfortunately.
Well, I went on what *you* posted. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Why do you have to have drywall on the ceiling?
I insulated my roof. I stapled in fiberglass insulation, and that's it. I never bothered with the ceiling, but I was planning on it. But.....it would be hard to get to all the stuff I have stored up there with a real ceiling, so I never bothered. I put 1/2" CDX down the middle of the trusses to do that.
I insulated the walls with fiberglass as well, and drywalled,
Then I put in a new insulated door, a propane powered ceiling mounted furnace, and a ceiling fan. That place where the ceiling would be, and the roof, can get toasty when running the heater, without the ceiling fan.
When summer came, I bought the swamp cooler.

Over 100 in the summer, and sometimes it gets below zero here in the winter, but I'm good to go.

So....if code is no big deal, do what you need to, and you have the cash for, and is safe. Big difference sometimes as to what works and is safe, and what is code. It worked for me.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't know if I want to be stapling insulation 20 feet above the concrete. Something to think about.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

That's why you put CDX where the ceiling will or would go. Then you are not 20' off the ground.

Or do you not have regular trusses for the roof?
In that case, scaffolding. You can rent it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's always difficult to figure out how much of your resources + time to put into the workshop / tooling / facilities.
For us amateurs, the economics will never work out, so you need to figure it out in emotional terms I think.

So, how much aggravation / misery / money will the insulation and cooling cost you vs. how much satisfaction you [hopefully] will have from it after you're done.

My observation is that after a year or two the money and effort is mostly forgotten, but the tools and facilities paid for are still there. And that's really nice.

So I say just go for it, make it how you would like it to be, or as close as is practical at least.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I measured the trusses, and they are, indeed, 12 feet from the ground. Drywall lifts generally top out at...wait for it...11 feet. I would also need a 12-foot stepladder or scaffolding. A stepladder that big would cost a lot, and moving scaffolding around with all the tools in the shop would be quite a process.

A lift big enough to do the job would cost $250, and I would be stuck with it for eternity, because no one would buy one that big at anything resembling a reasonable percentage of the new cost. I guess I could unload it for a hundred bucks on Craigslist. I estimate it would take 4 months. Renting is a bad idea, because by the time I got the drywall up, I would have spent a lot more than $250.

I looked up "CDX," and what I came up with is 1/2" plywood. I don't know how you would put it down the middle of a truss unless you nailed it there from below, which is the same amount of trouble as drywall and not fire-resistant. It also costs twice as much as drywall, so figure a thousand dollars for the entire shop. There must be something I'm missing, because it sounds like it's more expensive, just as much work to hang, and relatively easy to burn.

The tops of the trusses are probably 10 feet higher than the chords, so there is no practical way to staple anything to the roof.

It looks like a ceiling is a $3000 job if I pay someone and a $1200 job if I do it myself.

It can be done, but it's not looking real attractive.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

What about having it sprayed with PU foam?

Or, make another ceiling 8' or 10' up.

I made a drywall lift by putting 4 little post liftie things on the corners of a rolling scaffold. Not as nice as a real one, but CHEEEEP [like me]
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My ceiling (if I had one) is only 8' high.

But.....the CDX, yes, plywood, goes on top, not on the bottom. (see the pic)
That gives you a place to work, like scaffolding, and if you leave some of it up there, a place to store things, being mindful of the weight.
Insulation is attached to the 2x4's clear up top.
The string hanging down in the center of the shop is connected to the ceiling fan switch. The opening in the center makes it easy to put things up there on both sides.
100_4567.jpg
rudd

Post by rudd »

OSB or "waferboard" in lieu of gypsum board. A bit difficult to paint, but you can hang stuff anywhere.
I put in R13 walls and R20 ceiling when I did my shop, and built the "big doors" with R-13 in them. I have a little over 500 SF. One man door, the "big doors" and a tiny window positioned so I can see if my child has turned off the light in her room and gone to sleep.
I just bought a 3/4 ton split system and had it installed, I leave it on "dehumidifier" setting. It's actually a bit cooler in there than I would like. It's a pleasure to work out there now, I now clean up after a job instead of evacuating for the house.

Note on spray foam insulation - (puts on Architect hat) - the stuff is incredibly combustible. Like flash over like the night club in Rhode Island combustible. Whether or not you deal with inspectors or not, the codes are written in blood. Chap. 26 requires a thermal barrier between any spray foam insulation and an occupied space, even in an attic or crawl space. You can use 1/2" gypsum board, a few other products, or the insulation installer can cover the foam with an intumenescent coating. The "common name" for the coating is DC315, which is a specific product.

Obligatory link to article on fire mentioned above. No, we don't have fireworks, but we have grinders and other things capable of starting a fire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stati ... tclub_fire
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That about wraps it up for foam.

I would want whatever insulation I had to be as low as possible, to avoid air conditioning the attic.

Thanks for the info.