phosphor bronze or beryllium copper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

SteveM

phosphor bronze or beryllium copper

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:33 pm

I have a roll 6" wide and several feet long of a copper alloy that is 0.005" thick.

It is a shiny copper color and it has very good springing properties. You can bend it back and it snaps right back into place.

I'll have a picture up later, but is there any definitive way to tell if this is phosphor bronze or beryllium copper?

I know dad had both in the shop.

Steve

SteveM

Re: phosphor bronze or beryllium copper

Post by SteveM » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Here's a picture of the roll.
Attachments
20191019_182726.jpg

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:53 am

OK, so I'm sure all of you have been on pins and needles with this, here it is:

It's phosphor bronze.

Someone used an XRF and, besides copper. it shows tin, indicating bronze, plus some phosphorous.

Phosphor bronze would have 4.2%-5.8% tin (this has 5.08%) and 0.03% to 0.35% phosphorous (this has 0.118%).

Steve
Attachments
PhosphorBronze.png

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:58 am

what's an XRF?

choprboy

Post by choprboy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:40 pm

X-Ray Fluorescence or X-ray Resonance Fluorescence. It shoots a beam of X-rays at the material and measures the emitted x-rays/light spectrum to determine the elemental composition. There are also versions that use electron beams and laser pulses to accomplish the same thing.

liveaboard

Post by liveaboard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Cool; Somehow I don't think they come up on ebay very often...

choprboy

Post by choprboy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:19 pm

They come up on Ebay and other surplus sites from time to time, but they bring a premium and damaged/unservicable units seem to be a problem (early handheld versions were pretty fragile, stationary units were quite big and the x-ray emitters/detectors worn out by the time they were retired). For the last decade or so the handheld versions have become pretty common, but they cost $8000-$35000 new. On the industry repair/resale sites, refurb units still cost $4000+. As they only test the surface of the material the result can be subject to contamination and they usually come programmed with a "pack" that sets the unit to discriminate a particular element set/industry use (i.e. programmed for metal alloy identity vs. programmed for hard rock ore analysis vs. programmed for drug/unknown material basic composition).